Glass fibres lifting on the Antron 99 repair advice

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Glass fibres lifting on the Antron 99 repair advice

Post by original45 »

Finally managed to get a mate to bring my Antron 99 down carefully.
Fibres have slightly lifted, not very visible but you can feel it on the hands and fingers.

After a wash in washing powder it's drying now as it was mossy green with mould from 5 years in situ.

What's the best procedure to protect it for future years .
I was thinking a light sand with 1000 grade paper"wearing thick gloves" and a coat of fibre glass resin ?.

Secondly stealth ,I may spray it to further protect it ,suggestions for making it more a stealth by changing colour.
What colours best ?.

Thirdly the top too sections have a spring washer between them ,is this standard or should their be no washer present.
Obviously not the best performing antenna hence I wish to upgrade however it's been very well behaved and stood up well.

I would have loved to fit the fire up top section and the ground plain kit but for what I may gain if anything may not be cost effective.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Re: Glass fibres lifting on the Antron 99 repair advice

Post by The Collector »

Wear a mask and goggles when rubbing the sections down. Nasty stuff. Yacht varnish, gel coat for fibreglass or a few layers of paint (non metallic) will suffice.
The washers are usual, ground-planes apparently make zero difference and the top-up section's had mixed reviews.

I sprayed mine in matt camo' colours and bolted it to a dying conifer a few years back. Pic's might still be on here somewhere. You could only see about 4 feet at the top so I put some tiny black zip-ties on the top section so it looked a bit "branchy" too lol. My wife STILL DOESN'T KNOW it's a CB aerial! She thinks it's one of the blackberry brambles that climb through the conifers.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

The Collector wrote: 15 May 2018, 19:40 My wife STILL DOESN'T KNOW it's a CB aerial! She thinks it's one of the blackberry brambles that climb through the conifers.
:lol: Brilliant
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Collector thank you.
Bottom section seemed worse de laminated but after a light sand wearing pp and a coat of fibre glass resin it's looking good.
Once it's dried off hard It will get a couple coats of yacht varnish also then maybe a 're colour some kind of light grey to sky blue .
Thanks
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Any colour, even the whitest white will show up darker against the sky, whether it's cloudy or not.

If you're not bothered about it showing up a bit more, then any colour that's available will do...just don't use water-based or metallic stuff obviously :)
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Got it , thanks again