MK1 Lincoln blowing fuses

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
astradyne

Re: MK1 Lincoln blowing fuses

Post by astradyne »

I forgot to mention that the awful glue also becomes conductive so can cause a dead short on the torroid transformers.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

Yes I have heard of the evil glue in Lincolns. Well It's off to DR. Nicks surgery now :D
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

NightProwler wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 20:10 Well It's off to DR. Nicks surgery now :D
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

Thats why the last time I went to Nicks he was waving a bone in my face :lol:
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

NightProwler wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 20:10 Yes I have heard of the evil glue in Lincolns. Well It's off to DR. Nicks surgery now :D
You just reminded me. I have a Galaxy DX-2547 which I've been meaning to send down to Nick for a few mods and an FM board fitting. Gorgeous radio but made for the US market so only has the mid block on AM and SSB.

I do keep meaning to send it down to him and he's known about it for years, literally, but my other hobby (music) keeps me busy and forgetful of other things...

MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

write a song about it....

Well, way down in Wales where the air gets cold
There's a tale about a Rig Doctor that you've all been told
And a real famous cat with not a Dremmel in sight
I've gotta send him my galaxy, DHL, Overnight!

NIIIIIICCCCKKK.....OOOOOHHH NIIIIIICCCKKKK Nick Nick, Nicky Nacky Noo,
Fixin them rigs just for you

He be fixin', thats what he do
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

You have a real talent for song writing, Im just off to get my guitar to put some music to it :D
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

NightProwler wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 14:44 You have a real talent for song writing, Im just off to get my guitar to put some music to it :D
I have a real talent for three things

Googling
Copy and Paste
Ad-libbing

.... holding a tune and being creative are notably not on the above list! :lol:

astradyne

Post by astradyne »

MrWeetabix wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 14:38 write a song about it....

Well, way down in Wales where the air gets cold
There's a tale about a Rig Doctor that you've all been told
And a real famous cat with not a Dremmel in sight
I've gotta send him my galaxy, DHL, Overnight!

Fixin them rigs just for you

He be fixin', thats what he do
For some reason your excellent little ditty reminded me of the late Ken Dodd.

https://youtu.be/taIiq2OeYTk

MiXiN

Post by MiXiN »

astradyne wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 18:28 I forgot to mention that the awful glue also becomes conductive so can cause a dead short on the torroid transformers.
I heard about this glue issue that conducts, causes shorts & issues in the Lincoln, HR2510, etc' last week - so thought I'd crack open my Lincoln yesterday & check out the various places it's situated.

I'm not sure what the original colour of this glue is meant to be, but mine is like a whitened fluorescent Yellow colour - like the "scan" button colour, slightly faded.

I placed a multimeter on my MegOhm range across this glue and got no reading whatsoever, suggesting it's non conductive.

I checked the glue at the Toroids, on the regulators, and in a couple of other places.

What colour is this glue meant to be, do you know?
Kaliphan
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0

Post by Kaliphan »

MiXiN wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 01:18
astradyne wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 18:28 I forgot to mention that the awful glue also becomes conductive so can cause a dead short on the torroid transformers.
I heard about this glue issue that conducts, causes shorts & issues in the Lincoln, HR2510, etc' last week - so thought I'd crack open my Lincoln yesterday & check out the various places it's situated.

I'm not sure what the original colour of this glue is meant to be, but mine is like a whitened fluorescent Yellow colour - like the "scan" button colour, slightly faded.

I placed a multimeter on my MegOhm range across this glue and got no reading whatsoever, suggesting it's non conductive.

I checked the glue at the Toroids, on the regulators, and in a couple of other places.

It goes a dark brown when it's degraded and it can become conductive.

When it's yellow it's flexible and easy to peel off, when it's brown it's brittle and needs to be scraped off.
MiXiN

Post by MiXiN »

Kaliphan wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 12:38
MiXiN wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 01:18

It goes a dark brown when it's degraded and it can become conductive.

When it's yellow it's flexible and easy to peel off, when it's brown it's brittle and needs to be scraped off.
Thank you for the heads up, Kaliphan.

Yeah - a press into the yellow glue with my multimeter probe suggested it was still "squidgy" as it left an indentation, so I wonder if I'm going to be safe just leaving it; after all, I think President stopped manufacturing the Lincoln in the early 90s - so this makes my rig over 20+ years old.

The room my Lincoln is kept in is always cool (never over 15oC) apart from Summer Months, and the rig rarely gets used, so maybe this is the reason why the glue hasn't gone brittle or brown - who knows!

The glue in mine has also been used sparingly and not overdone unlike some examples I've seen.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

NightProwler wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 10:56 Thats why the last time I went to Nicks he was waving a bone in my face :lol:
Glad it was a bone and not a boner :lol:
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

MiXiN wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 01:51I think President stopped manufacturing the Lincoln in the early 90s - so this makes my rig over 20+ years old.
The Lincoln's were manufactured up until the early 2000's. The later models are easily identifiable as they use an MRF455 output transistors instead of the MRF477 which became obsolete. Also, the PCB number will give you a clue to the age of the radio (it will end with A, B, C, D or E). Obviously A denotes an older radio and E a later model.

cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

astradyne wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 10:48The Lincoln's were manufactured up until the early 2000's
The idiots should have kept making them .
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.