MK1 Lincoln blowing fuses

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

MK1 Lincoln blowing fuses

Post by NightProwler »

Im gutted, After giving me many years of good service my MK1 Lincoln is playing up. Turned it on last night and as soon as you TX is blows the fuse, I havent had a good look inside but it smells a bit burnt :shock: Any ideas dudes?

Cheers...Rich :thumbup:
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Re: MK1 Lincoln blowing fuses

Post by NightProwler »

Right just tried again and it went into TX ok but the output power slowly dropped down to zero and has lost all TX now. Could this be the output transistors gone? Why would it blow fuses though? :think:
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

Possibly something went short, than burned to open circuit. I suggest to take RF probe and measure where power disappear.
Very common failure are faulty ceramic caps causing short to ground and MRF burn especially when run high power and bad SWR.
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

Bin it and replace it with something decent, never worth attempting to get it repaired.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

Thanks Chris I will look into it. Tim...Grow up :roll:
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

ch25 wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 22:50 Possibly something went short, than burned to open circuit.
What Chris said. Hopefully you won't have blown the final. Send it to Nick for a quick fix , and forget about Tim's comments. The Lincoln is still worth repairing.

Sammy
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

Thats what I will probably do Sammy. I cant understand how a radio that I have used for 5 years that has never ever let me down and always gets glowing reports from stations I have worked around the world is not 'decent' and fit for the bin {bnghd} This forum is just not what it used to be :cry:
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Tim »

Not what it used to be, neither it seems are peoples sense of humour!
timbob58
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26tm957

Post by timbob58 »

:lol: :lol:
Tim wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 08:55 Not what it used to be, neither it seems are peoples sense of humour!
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Tim wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 08:55 Not what it used to be, neither it seems are peoples sense of humour!
A smiley face speaks a 1000 words 😀
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

First port of call in fault finding is a visual inspection, Get the covers whipped off and look round the PA section for damaged capacitors etc
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Tim »

The smell could tell you a lot, that's if you haven't lost your sense of smell as well as sense of humour. :P
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

It might be worth taking a look at the torroid transformers. These are secured using that awful corrosive glue. While the larger higher gauge ones are generally fine, the smaller gauge ones can be damaged as the glue eats through the wire.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

I do have a sense of humour Tim but when I come on a radio forum asking for advice about fixing a radio and get told to 'Bin it and replace it with something decent' I find that childish. It dont matter wether it's a Fideily 1000 or top of the range Yaesu. The point of this section of the forum to help other radio users fix their radio's. I give up I really do {bnghd}

Thanks to everyone else for the helpful advice, Except Tim :roll:
beamer320i
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by beamer320i »

I'd much rather get a broken Lincoln repaired than own any of the 'new', modern radio's...

Serious question Tim, no trolling intended - What 'decent' radio would you replace the Lincoln with? (same value of course, no HF nonsense!) I only ask because I've always had one for the last 18 years and it would be only my only radio If I could only keep one. Build quality is excellent, simple to use, 26-30 with no gaps and very reliable if not abused. It may not be the most 'exciting' radio to use to some with it's lack of flashing fascia's, no echo but when it comes to working DX I can rely on it to make the trip where others have failed.

The only which comes a close second for me is the Ranger 2950DX in it's various guises, and that only gets second place because I find them slightly 'noisy' on RX, I tend to find them high on the white noise side. Again, that radio would NEVER win any beauty contests but it works!

As I'm typing this I've realised I haven't mentioned the Jackson (Mk.1 of course!) - Again, a superb radio which is equal to the Lincoln in my opinion (some will say better) on RX and TX, only loses to the Lincoln for me because it's on standard channel/block format but then again, that's not always a bad thing...Right, I've now started a Jackson vs Lincoln argument with myself so I'm off to sort this out! :D