MK1 Lincoln blowing fuses

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
26TM944
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM944

Re: MK1 Lincoln blowing fuses

Post by 26TM944 »

Was the loss of the CPU and other critical components not the reason that production was curtailed? I know models have a limited lifespan but I do remember someone had written an interesting history of the radios and it was production issues that forced the radio into retirement. It may not have been the only factor but I can imagine it would be hard to continue if like the output PA were having to re-jig PCBs all the time to suit component supply.

They were OK at the time and I did enjoy mine and I always regret turning one down with a ChipSwitch fitted for not much more money than a standard one.
26-TM-944
  • A rig, twig & burner.
26TM944
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM944

Post by 26TM944 »

Yes found an old web reference to Uniden having parts issues in the 90s and then halting production. So it would be that which forced the model line to end rather than a change of direction by the maker.
26-TM-944
  • A rig, twig & burner.
MiXiN

Post by MiXiN »

astradyne wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 10:48
MiXiN wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 01:51I think President stopped manufacturing the Lincoln in the early 90s - so this makes my rig over 20+ years old.
The Lincoln's were manufactured up until the early 2000's. The later models are easily identifiable as they use an MRF455 output transistors instead of the MRF477 which became obsolete. Also, the PCB number will give you a clue to the age of the radio (it will end with A, B, C, D or E). Obviously A denotes an older radio and E a later model.
I'm not sure of the PCB number, but I can confirm mine uses the MRF477.

There's a Green, Black, and White President label on mine, though, on the upper right case stating "June 1999" so I guess that's the manufacturing date.

What's the default specification on these in terms of Power output? Anyone know?

Mine does 1.5 to 10W on FM and talks upto about 24W on a standard power meter with no peak reading.
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

The power output on your radio is just about spot on. Off the top of my head Lincoln's should be around 21W on SSB (checked with a dummy load).

Don't go by the labels on the radio, there's many out there that have had case swaps.

If the label is correct then your Lincoln is one of the very last to be produced before the MRF477 was discontinued and President moved onto the MRF455. The same was done with the later Jackson's.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

cb4ever104 wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 11:49
astradyne wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 10:48The Lincoln's were manufactured up until the early 2000's
The idiots should have kept making them .
Agreed Sammy, and to the original spec.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
MiXiN

Post by MiXiN »

Nice one for the input guys.

I'll keep my eye on the glue, perhaps opening the rig up once per year to inspect it - then if I see any change in colour (from yellow to brown) I'll go ahead & remove it.

I'm sure it'll need a Capacitor rekit at some point, too, but as it's working well & mainly a shelf Queen I'll just leave It as it is for now.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

Glue eh? I got a Uniden 2830 here that used to have a glue issue, I believe. You would turn the radio on no problem but if you turned it off then back on again the display would fail to come on, So you had to turn it off then back on again and it would reappear. I was told it was down to the evil glue. Anyway it's stopped doing it now, I love it when radio's repair themselves :D
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
Kaliphan
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0

Post by Kaliphan »

MiXiN wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 09:56 Nice one for the input guys.

I'll keep my eye on the glue, perhaps opening the rig up once per year to inspect it - then if I see any change in colour (from yellow to brown) I'll go ahead & remove it.

I'm sure it'll need a Capacitor rekit at some point, too, but as it's working well & mainly a shelf Queen I'll just leave It as it is for now.
There's a non polarised cap in there that dies causing problems with FM, change it now before it cooks the resistor on the FM board
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

Ok so after finally taking a look inside my Lincoln it has the MRF477 and 2166 transistors. With the transistors in place the radio pops a fuse when I TX, With both taken out it does not so I presume they are dead. Now I have heard of fake transistors from China, Any thoughts?
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

Eleflow transistors are OK. I used them many times.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...