HELP NEEDED,how to turn the power down ANYTONE 5555

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

HELP NEEDED,how to turn the power down ANYTONE 5555

Post by WARLOCK »

Can anyone please tell me how to turn the power down on a ANYTONE 5555 V4 as it is set at 40/50wts which is far too high for me to run my amp safely
sickboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: HELP NEEDED,how to turn the power down ANYTONE 5555

Post by sickboy »

RF power control is on the front of the rig isn't it? 3rd pot along from the left. RF gain is the center control, power is the outer control
Embrace your inner muppet !
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by WARLOCK »

thanks Sickboy, i would like to turn the power down to max of 8/10 wts inside of the rig just in case i forget to turn it down as you say ,memory not what it used to be,
rpcomms

Post by rpcomms »

Take it to a proper cb\radio tech,is best bet,avoid the diy approach without proper test equipment (unless you have your own?)
you could end up making matter's worse or break the small SMT pot.
Reason I say this,its just not the RF power you have to turn down on At-5555,you have to then reset
the SSB ALC and the AM modulation low power\high power control end.
If you dont ,your going to have over modulation in Am mode and distortion
Its not a simple case of turn a pot down on these radios.

I havnt a version 4.5.67 version so cant comment on workaround apart from from panel control and mark an indicator for 2.5w,5w,10w drive to amp
SSB not sure front panel does control power,just reduce microphone gain is one way on ssb,its not perfect

Personally from playing with these radios and can take these comments as my own personal experiences,im not trying to tell you what to do OK but what ive observed,and yes going off topic sorry

id rather have 40W pep clean radio,than 100w dirty,harmonics from some of these CB amps ive seen with no low pass filtering.
Bear in mind that 40w pep VS 100W pep is roughly just over +3dB gain,thats half an S-point!
6dB per S-Point

40-60 Watts is more than ample for long range CB comms

Going Off Topic sorry,but is related to these radios being high power!

I have found,most cases I see is wrong antenna type for terrain location & fitting locations,often below roof line or less
coax feeders poor quality or long runs of thin RG-58\U

Better to spend monies on taller mast or poles and get height on CB band as its right near VHF and HF properties,
best friend for line of sight comms is Height and angle of radiation
and switch to something like ECO flex super low loss double shielded coax,less outside man made noise can get into poor shield coax

Rule of thumb I follow (roughly) and use\tried for Line of Sight communications (not DX as thats all skywave based)

if lowdown at sea level and hill surround-antenna max height above roof ,use a quarter wave ground plane for high angle of radiation to get your signals over mountainous,houses,buildings ,tress-typical wales!
with 40-60w LOS typical 30-70 miles based on 5-5 or better FM signals

if high above sea levels hill surround-either a quarter wave or half wave due to it lifts signal point higher,but not too much as quarter wave

if high above sea, level no hills a 5/8th low angle radiation mounted or a quarter wave low to ground (lowers angle of radiation)
remember a 5/8th wave has generally a very low angle of radiation,no good for getting over mountainous terrain if low down in a valley, pointless having antenna that long!-Wales :)

Biggest mistake I often see is large half wave.5/8th wave antenna mounted far too low to ground and surrounding area for line of sight comms on CB,its basically VHF with a sprinkle of HF prorogation when time right.

so point im making is before looking at amplifiers,look at the whole system first its the weak chain in the link,do you really need a 100W+ amplifier,that maybe dirty,or cause issues add maybe 1 or 2 S Points more,before looking at your antenna system feeder quality,plug properly sealed,height,right antenna
Not saying you haven't,but this is often over looked by operators and the "quick fix" route of RF amplifiers used

As for CRT\Anytone I would strongly advise take it to a radio engineer and get it set up all together with amplifier,preferably with an addition quality low pass filter
Yes you have to pay,but least know its all setup correctly and shouldn't cause problems.

I know some people shun this info,but rather its done right,than wrong and cause issues to other users in radio spectrum
and cause other issues to neighbors TV,equipment,we all know this is naughty,but id rather have operator's who do this stuff the right way than the wrong way and cause more harm and annoyance on band,thats how CB radio got some of its bad image press in early days!

where you located?
There's a decent radio engineer based in Newport wales who knows how to set up RF amps,radios etc
and I know others on here as well know good techs (regulars)on here could help step in too

If you got test equipment i maybe able to help you,if not dont attempt yourself,take it too a professional to setup right best option.

Currently Im to busy with other projects and personal matter's to deal with right now to help step in, at the moment.
Im sure some of the other techs on here maybe able to point you in right direction,pretty good bunch
send me a private msg for radio engineer contact if required

All the best and hope you get it sorted

Play safe kids
Rob 73's
ROTEL240

Post by ROTEL240 »

WARLOCK wrote: 05 Feb 2018, 15:36 Can anyone please tell me how to turn the power down on a ANYTONE 5555 V4 as it is set at 40/50wts which is far too high for me to run my amp safely
ssb power pot w14, fm pot under that. https://dd182003.files.wordpress.com/20 ... tments.jpg
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

WARLOCK wrote: 05 Feb 2018, 15:36 Can anyone please tell me how to turn the power down on a ANYTONE 5555 V4 as it is set at 40/50wts which is far too high for me to run my amp safely
The power shouldn't be that high anyway. It won't do the output transistors any good so it would be a good idea to reduce the RF power internally and further control that from the front of the radio (the variable power should work on all modes).
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by WARLOCK »

THANKS everyone now sorted,
warlock , MR NGEORGE
steepeljack69
Call Sign: 26SF333

Post by steepeljack69 »

The board in my Mass dx 5000 which was made 2010 looks nothing like that as in the link above,I need to turn power down but there r not pots in that configuration so I found what I think is ssb power,I altered it and now can control ssb power from controls at front.Great but now no power on am or fm,I don't use these so not that botherd but any ideas y this has happend?yes I can turn pot back to how it was and both will work again.I just want to turn power down to 15-20w tops on ssb so I can use my amp,any help much appreciated