How to mount imax2000 on to a 2 inch mast ???

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: How to mount imax2000 on to a 2 inch mast ???

Post by MrWeetabix »

I appreciate your reply, but I can only go from my own experience, and the way I did it worked just fine for me, without issues and lasted 5 years without a failure until I took it down and re-jigged everything.

I don't believe the mounting plate is wide enough to accommodate drilling to suit a 2inch pole anyway. If you had one and drilled it, then perhaps you could share some pictures for the op to follow as a guide?
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Before I sold mine a while vack, I was tempted to saw the bracket off and grind it down so it was like an Antron. I hate sticky-out bits having an OCD problem ;) It could then have been inserted snugly inside an appropriately sized pole which would have protected the co-ax and connector. As someone mentioned above, drilling 2 or 3 holes which would then have been tapped would have secured it by tightening/pinching bolts onto it.
I did this with my old A99 years ago plus the 21ft aluminium pole it sat in was inserted 4ft into a 22ft steel scaffold pole and they were cross-bolted together. All linear, tidy and safe.

God I'm anal!!! :)
listner132
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by listner132 »

The imax weak point seems to be that silly mounting plate...know of a few that have went at this point. Do what i done and just remove that silly mounting plate with a grinder or hacksaw then just tidy it up leaving it looking like the antron 99 and way stronger in my opinion. good luck fella.
davev8
Regular
Regular

Post by davev8 »

paulears wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 11:11 Jubilee clips and other bodges seem a bit unnecessary when you can just drill 2 (or 4) new holes and use proper unbolts. Jubilee clips are not good for connecting two cylindrical objects, they skew at the drop of a bit of wind. New holes and proper bolts are the only long lasting solution. With the jubilee clip option, the contact area is tiny, and any lateral movement 90 degrees to the direct of the poles will tilt very easily, and as the tilting also losses the tightness of the jubilee clips it's not a good solution. With straps like this, the tightest is when poles are parallel, the minute they tilt, tightness vanishes.
mr weetabix jubilee bodge.....i mean creative solution..... is a very good one ...the pole is in contact with the imax bracket in 2 places at 90 degrees around the pole ..thus has a better/more contact and in 2 planes than any other method ...as its like you are basically clamping the pole in to a piece of angel .it also takes some stress from imax mounting plate which is only a flat plate ..i would say 2 spaced out quality stainless hose clamps will hold the base of the imax to a pole good enough to snap the fiberglass pole if you try to .....i often use jubilee clips ,cable ties.silicone,expanding foam and araldite for bodging....i mean for creative repiers
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

I am using an Imax and a 14Ft 2inch diameter steel pole ,which is on t+k brackets on the side of the house,and the antenna is held in place with 5 jubilee clips,but I put a thinner pole through the Imax brackets to connect the 2 together.
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
andy42uk
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: M3HES

Post by andy42uk »

listner132 wrote: 13 Dec 2017, 20:27 The imax weak point seems to be that silly mounting plate...know of a few that have went at this point. Do what i done and just remove that silly mounting plate with a grinder or hacksaw then just tidy it up leaving it looking like the antron 99 and way stronger in my opinion. good luck fella.
I have had 2 over the years and ALWAYS do this, then telescopically mount it interference-fit into the mast, with a tank-whip top section the whole thing is neat and tidy, and strong, and aerodynamic.
This is on 2 meters of mast on my chimney, 2x lashing kits, no problems with wind.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

I recently purchased a new iMax 2000. Below is an image of the u-bolts provided with the antenna and also the washers used between sections for reference....
IMG_8640.jpg
IMG_8633.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I think a 38mm approx. pole is the biggest you can get through the holes without opening them up massively, from what I recall.

Here are a few other handy tips for U-bolts etc I've gleaned over the years ;) -

Those U bolts are a bit pants unless the pole inserted into them is EXACTLY the same size as their inside measurements. If not, the pole is only touching on 2 points - the bracket of the Imax and the inside of the furthest point of the U bolts.

Better bolts to get have angled (pictured below), rather than a semi-circular bend on them, meaning they grip at 3 points...a 50% better chance of them not slipping.

Ensure that any flat washers that you use are large and thick enough not to get pulled into the slots on any brackets. It can make adjustment/alignment more difficult if they're damaged or kinked.

Also, either use the original nuts followed by some Ny-lock nuts, or by another set of normal nuts but with anti-vibration washers inbetween them. This'll mean the inner ones are locked in place and should never come undone accidently. If the pole slips due to them coming loose, you'll find it could damage anything below it... as one of my neighbouring CB users found out to his cost years back where the pole slid down at speed through a garage roof below, damaging his neighbour's car's wing that was parked inside.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wa10
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by wa10 »

38mm perfect for that fiberglass fork handle you should be stuffing in the 2" pipe,
works with the stock imax clamps & properly isolates the antenna from the conductive mast, even gives you a great place to wind your choke.
W8JI
"An antenna with a poor ground using few radials cannot have a support mast grounded to the radial common point (at least it shouldn't if designed properly) There is no exception to this!