Gamma Ray decals and clear coat lacquer

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
cooper
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM111

Gamma Ray decals and clear coat lacquer

Post by cooper »

Hello all, just added a decal to an old Mckinley,thinking of coating the whole bezel with a clear coat lacquer for added protection,has anyone tried this? could the decal react to the lacquer? any thoughts welcomed.
speeddemon

Re: Gamma Ray decals and clear coat lacquer

Post by speeddemon »

Hi cooper use light misted coats of clear ie build up clear top coat slowly and allow to dry In between coats you.should be fine n gd to go. Pce n 73's
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

cooper wrote:Hello all, just added a decal to an old Mckinley,thinking of coating the whole bezel with a clear coat lacquer for added protection,has anyone tried this? could the decal react to the lacquer? any thoughts welcomed.
If the faceplate is a recent one from Ray, it will already be laminated to provide added protection so not sure the lacquer is needed.
However, if you do decide to add lacquer, while I don't think it will react, if you have just recently applied the faceplate, I would leave it for a good week or so to ensure it has completely dried.

I have a number of faceplates from Ray and I've always found them to be very durable as they are.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Hi cooper. Https://youtu.be/apw9pxyg8qo https://youtu.be/4ozlupxkpqo or Google videos by commando designs or diy auto school. Cheers n 73's
cooper
Regular
Regular

Post by cooper »

Thanks for the replies and info gents, i shall leave it to dry for a week before deciding if to lacquer or not :thumbup:
Last edited by cooper on 11 Oct 2017, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

If the decal has any "thickness to it" a knock to it could cause the paint to flake off if it hasn't fully bonded to its surface. As mentioned above, Ray offers his fronts with or without an extra protective layer so with one it should cope with gentle everyday wear and tear.

Unless you're planning on stabbing the radio out of boredom, I wouldn't have thought you'd have needed a spray coat on top. Go carefully as described above with lots of thin coats if you do.

Watch what lacquer you use too as cellulose may melt it whereas acrylic should be a safer bet.
cooper
Regular
Regular

Post by cooper »

[quote="The Collector"]If the decal has any "thickness to it" a knock to it could cause the paint to flake off if it hasn't fully bonded to its surface. As mentioned above, Ray offers his fronts with or without an extra protective layer so with one it should cope with gentle everyday wear and tear.

Unless you're planning on stabbing the radio out of boredom, I wouldn't have thought you'd have needed a spray coat on top. Go carefully as described above with lots of thin coats if you do.

Watch what lacquer you use too as cellulose may melt it whereas acrylic should be a safer bet.[/quote

I thought a coat of lacquer might help to seal the edges of the decal to prevent it lifting,not sure how strong the adhesive is on these decals?
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

I used quite a few "thin coats" of lacquer when I did my Adams. It provided a nice coating and it tough. I made sure it was bone dry between each coat.

Gamma Ray are fantastic Decals. Still have a Silver Adams somewhere.
Maurer Adams.jpg
maurer1.jpg
maurer3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Can't help but love an Adams.

andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

cooper wrote:Hello all, just added a decal to an old Mckinley,thinking of coating the whole bezel with a clear coat lacquer for added protection,has anyone tried this? could the decal react to the lacquer? any thoughts welcomed.
When you ordered the decal did you not get the protective coating on it?
I will not be commanded, I will not be controlled.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
cooper
Regular
Regular

Post by cooper »

andymuza wrote:
I`m not sure Andy {bnghd}
cooper
Regular
Regular

Post by cooper »

Stronty wrote:I used quite a few "thin coats" of lacquer when I did my Adams. It provided a nice coating and it tough. I made sure it was bone dry between each coat.

Gamma Ray are fantastic Decals. Still have a Silver Adams somewhere.
Maurer Adams.jpgmaurer1.jpgmaurer3.jpg
Looking good :thumbup:
mrpsychopath
Call Sign: 108tm1313

Post by mrpsychopath »

Is that a 4 band adams with fm, i likey. Whats full spec if you dont mind.
Kill em all and let god sort them out.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

cooper wrote:
andymuza wrote:
If it hasn't it'll be like a sheet of paper and be quite floppy, especially once you remove the backing. Holding it horizontally between 2 fingers at one end it'll perhaps flop down 90degrees.

If it's got the laminated covering it'll feel more like a thin piece of plastic or card and be less flexible. Holding that horizontally between 2 fingers at one end it'll probably only drop about 45degrees.

I haven't got both to compare but that'll hopefully give you an indication.

If you're still not sure, maybe you can contact Ray and he'll probably be able to tell you what he sent you if his records are good ;)
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

cooper wrote:
andymuza wrote:
How much did you pay for the decal, the decals cost extra with the protective coating on. If your decal already has the coating then they won't need to be lacquered.
I will not be commanded, I will not be controlled.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

andymuza wrote:
cooper wrote:
andymuza wrote:
How much did you pay for the decal, the decals cost extra with the protective coating on. If your decal already has the coating then they won't need to be lacquered.
As far as I am aware, all of Rays decals now come laminated. It used to be a couple of $s extra. Certainly, any ones I have bought this year have been and having just checked his website, he states that clear lamination is included.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think: