Anyone interested in a nice new 148 GTL-DX/360FM chrome bezel?

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
Snake Plissken
Regular
Regular

Anyone interested in a nice new 148 GTL-DX/360FM chrome bezel?

Post by Snake Plissken »

Don't be putting up any trouser tents yet - I don't have any.... :lol:

....But I could probably find a use use for 10 of these pretty quickly, if I could get my hands on them!

I'm sure this issue has been discussed a million times before, on this forum and others...

So I've been thinking....seeing as it's unlikely I'm going to discover which backyard shed or basement in Taiwan is home to all the unused bezels from back in the day...

There are ABS moulding/electroplating companies not so far away from me that could reproduce these bezels I'm sure...I have an original bezel here with no step on the front edge that they could use to create a mould (The company I'm looking at will carry out both the moulding and electroplating - when the ABS is moulded, they apparently add a chemical to aid how well the chroming process 'takes' to the plastic).

I'm guessing a very similar process to the original bezels - not that spray-on wet chrome technique...

Now I'm assuming that contacting them and asking them to run off ten bezels just for me is going to be prohibitively expensive.

So my question to everyone is, who else may be interested in one (or more)? :D

I have not contacted them yet, as I figured it would be too expensive to get just a few made....consequently have no idea on how much per unit each one would cost to produce....

If enough people show an interest in this, I would be willing to front the cost of an initial run of these if it turns out to be economically viable...

All comments and suggestions welcome!
Dan
Unidens (one or two)..
Cybernets (a few more)..
Stalker ST-9F DX Colonel FR360 Stag 357 Midland 79-900 Zodiac Tokyo Pegasus III Transceiver MkV
Cheiza CB702 workshop monitor :lol:
A few more, I forget...

Snake Plissken - Rescuing Presidents since a 1981 version of 1997 :D
Atomic

Re: Anyone interested in a nice new 148 GTL-DX/360FM chrome bezel?

Post by Atomic »

I'd certainly be interested if the price was right :-)
Snake Plissken
Regular
Regular

Post by Snake Plissken »

Thanks Atomic, good to know I'm not the only one!

I saw an original used chrome bezel in good shape fetch more than £50 on a certain online auction site, not so long ago...

Such is demand, I guess...I'd like to think they would cost less than this to produce, and if it looked like an original I'd be happy to pay something close to this for a new one... :thumbup:
Unidens (one or two)..
Cybernets (a few more)..
Stalker ST-9F DX Colonel FR360 Stag 357 Midland 79-900 Zodiac Tokyo Pegasus III Transceiver MkV
A few more, I forget...

ROTEL240

Post by ROTEL240 »

Try posting on the Facebook cobra user group sites i am sure you will get plenty of interest..Nice idea
Queball
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Queball »

Put me down for a couple Dan. Great idea. Hopefully you can sort something out.
gholdq on youtube.com
26TM265
26FB165
26CT066
26UK165
Snake Plissken
Regular
Regular

Post by Snake Plissken »

Three people getting back to me within a matter of hours on just one forum is a pretty good sign...
ROTEL240 wrote:Try posting on the Facebook cobra user group sites i am sure you will get plenty of interest..Nice idea
I will have to do this, Rotel...this is bound to drum up more interest...

I'm pretty sure a guy on Facebook (Snakeplates) is where Cxxxxxxxxshopz were sourcing their excellent reproduction 148 faceplates....

I've tried shooting him an email about making some more; I didn't get a reply....I don't have any idea if he plans to run off any more, but if this project got off the ground I think he'd find his services in demand again :D
Unidens (one or two)..
Cybernets (a few more)..
A few more, I forget...

Queball
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Queball »

Russ (Cybernet) on here is the guy who did the Snake plates for the Cobra. I bought a few off him and now want the bezels to fit them onto.
gholdq on youtube.com
26TM265
26FB165
26CT066
26UK165
Snake Plissken
Regular
Regular

Post by Snake Plissken »

Queball wrote:Russ (Cybernet) on here is the guy who did the Snake plates for the Cobra. I bought a few off him and now want the bezels to fit them onto.
Thanks Queball....

Maybe I should drop him a PM and see if he's willing to do another run of them....I've had 3 or 4 of them to put onto restos with 3900 chrome bezels, and my mk2 148 also got one to fit the very clean original chrome it's still wearing...

Is it possible for something to look better than the originals?

I think sometimes yes...the aluminium stock he used to make them looks fantastic with the brushed finish :thumbup:
Unidens (one or two)..
Cybernets (a few more)..
A few more, I forget...

Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

How about some Cobra 148 Serial number plates.

They are like rocking horse poo.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.