Inside my President Madison

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
harakiri

Inside my President Madison

Post by harakiri »

Hi everyone.
So I bought this Madison last year,and only slightly had the chance to test it and had a quick peek inside it,but no serious inspection. I am planing to have a PIC inside it,because it would be nice to have one more band (it did`nt even have a xtal-board) and +10kc switch is also nice. So I thought it was time to open it up and get familiar with this giant of a radio.

I also remembered it had a xtal on the solder side,which for me made no sense,but maybe some of you can enlighten me to what is being achieved here,or maybe only attempted to being achieved.
soldersidemadison.JPG
Not that I`ve actually checked this,but could the position the xtal is in be where the xtal-board sometimes are placed? I have a spare Madison board in a drawer here somewhere with it on so I will study it..

Yeah,and here is the xtal btw:
xtalmadison.JPG
Took it out so I could clean it a bit and actually read whats on it..

So that xtal on solder side was one of my reason to open the radio. The other was to look if I could put a Galaxy counter into the radio. Well..The Frequency counter had to be "modified" itself and it is a newer model which requires jp1 and jp2 to be connected. Which is on the other side of the Galaxy fc347 PCB..

The clock in the radio worked a bit,then not,but make some sounds so I thought I`d just switch it with a frequency counter. We`ll see if I can make that work. At the moment I`m not convinced I`ve found all connection points,but some pictures (in a old tread here on tm1) from work Chris made to a Madison got me on the way at least.

Now its back to testing it,and also getting pictures of the other side of the PCB.

Cheers everyone. And thanks for reading.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eh..Its time.
harakiri

Re: Inside my President Madison

Post by harakiri »

Tiny update.
The legs of the xtal on solder side is to tick to get through so I guess this is the reason for the odd placing. Its the x3 position.. So mystery solved I guess. I think I will switch it.
One good news though...
It`s no unlocked clarifier at least.. but it needs a tiny adjustment I guess.

Now its time to print the Madison docs I got... Could not find the copy I`ve already had printed.
Eh..Its time.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Hi H .

Yeah . That crystal on the solder side is the MID BAND crystal that's usually on the expansion board . As you say it's not the original one as that one has the socket type legs on it which is why it's been placed there . Nick does a good pic for the Madison . It does the HI band , and +10khz . I have both the President and Uniden versions , and I have "Nick's pic" (patient pending :)) in both of them . You can connect up the Galaxy counter , but you need to modify it using the jumpers . I was thinking about fitting a switch on the back of my counter so that I could switch between both types of radios , but I haven't got round to it yet . My Madison also had an unlocked clarifier , but I hate them so I put it back to stock .

Sammy

There's a post of yours from last year with some crystal info .

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=51235
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
harakiri

Post by harakiri »

cb4ever104 wrote:Hi H .

Yeah . That crystal on the solder side is the MID BAND crystal that's usually on the expansion board . As you say it's not the original one as that one has the socket type legs on it which is why it's been placed there . Nick does a good pic for the Madison . It does the HI band , and +10khz . I have both the President and Uniden versions , and I have "Nick's pic" (patient pending :)) in both of them . You can connect up the Galaxy counter , but you need to modify it using the jumpers . I was thinking about fitting a switch on the back of my counter so that I could switch between both types of radios , but I haven't got round to it yet . My Madison also had an unlocked clarifier , but I hate them so I put it back to stock .

Sammy

There's a post of yours from last year with some crystal info .

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=51235
Hi Sammy.
How are you doing?

Yeah I took the 11,3258 from that xtal-board (from last years topic) and put it in this radio,from the correct side.

It looks like the radio needs adjustment.. I am studying the Madison/Stalker service manual for knowledge. USB is clearly a tad off so it needs love.

I also found out (actually long ago) that I will need to invest in more test equipment this summer. That would set me back some cash I suppose. Any advices to good quality test equipment would help. It does not have to be new or fancy,but easy to use and not the high end price is also good. When it comes to scope I actually had hoped I could find one for computer. If they`re any good that is. So if anyone have tested some of these usb scope things let me know. I will look for the tread here about it,but last time I checked it was no new post there..

Cheers.
Eh..Its time.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

harakiri wrote:to good quality test equipment
Hi H . If it's just for CB , then it doesn't have to be "great" quality . I have a Hameg 203-6 scope , which I've had to repair about 4 times now (s/c caps) . An old Meteor 100Mhz counter that I bought new when they came out in 80 something (never been calibrated) . A Maplins RF signal generator , and a couple of volt meters (analogue and digital) . That's it . The lot is probably worth about £100 .

If I was to start getting into it more seriously , then I'd probably invest in some newer equipment , but I can't see that happening . So what I have does me just fine .

S.
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
harakiri

Post by harakiri »

Thanks for the tips Sammy. Its for CB/Freeband radio`s so this all sounds great. If I manage to stay under 200£ I`d be happy enough. I will be on the look for the ones you`re mentioning. I see your scope there,so this is awesome so far. For some reason I had a memory of someone advising someone to get a scope up to 40mhz and someone even said more if I ain`t mistaken, to be sure. There was defenders of 20mhz being sufficient for CB as well.. In my humble opinion (since I`m a noob) I`d be so bold to say a ok/good scope is anyway better than no scope at all.. at least after I manage to use it properly.
frommadisonStalkXXdocs.png
Reading the docs for the Madison this one got me a bit of guard as I can not remember any other docs where it said "two required" anywhere...

If that became the new normal I`d have to go on ebay and look for a new radio-room with extra space.. :lol:

There is however a few places in that service manual that confuses me..

Cheers (,and I mean that literary ..I really planning on having a cold beer..) :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eh..Its time.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Probably because you require a 2 tone generator , and they weren't available back in 79 when they made the Madison (?) . Anyway . You can use your mobile phone as the AF generator . Sue at Ibcomms posted a diagram on how to make the circuit for the phone connector , and she also has the .wav file too . I haven't made mine yet , but I will do one day :) It saves you whistling into a mic for 5 hours :)

The scope is up to you . 40Mhz is needed when you need to see the whole 27Mhz signal . There's another thread on here about the Concorde 3 , where the guy is trying to see distortion on the output signal . I wouldn't be able to see that on my 20Mhz scope . If you don't have one , and you're buying one for the first time , then go for the 40 .

Sammy

PS And I'd forget the spectrum analyser for now . They're about 20k :)
Last edited by cb4ever104 on 15 Apr 2017, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
harakiri

Post by harakiri »

cb4ever104 wrote:
PS And I'd forget the spectrum analyser for now . They're about 20k :)
:lol: Yeah... I will forget about that....for now.

But you`re probably also right about why it says two in the docs. I will go the Ibcomms route and use .wav file.

I actually managed to fix the USB last night,so I am on the right track. It is actually looking ok inside.

Thanks for all the help and advice Sammy.
Eh..Its time.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

harakiri wrote:Thanks for all the help and advice Sammy.
No problem H . I like the Madison a lot . Great radios . Cheers !
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .