Stalker st9f dx no am audio

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
tony2803
Call Sign: 163TM2803

Stalker st9f dx no am audio

Post by tony2803 »

Stalker st9f dx am audio and signal really low even with volume all the way up.
Audio and signal dropped off slowly fm and ssb seem ok.
Anyone got any ideas. Thanks in advance.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: Stalker st9f dx no am audio

Post by Admiral »

Stick it in your favourite forum 'For Sale' for £30 and keep bumping it to compete with Clive who also has 99% of his posts there, and don't forget to post it this time.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

The grey 10V electrolytics have died of old age and are going leaky. Eventually SSB will die too and often the ones on the PLL will go as well, bricking the radio. Only way to fix it and make it reliable is to replace all the electrolytics, a.k.a. "recapping" the radio.

They occasionally take out a diode or transistor from excessive current, but 95% of the time recapping will cure all faults in those late 70's / early 80's Uniden board sets.

Very common repair.
tony2803

Post by tony2803 »

lbcomms wrote:The grey 10V electrolytics have died of old age and are going leaky. Eventually SSB will die too and often the ones on the PLL will go as well, bricking the radio. Only way to fix it and make it reliable is to replace all the electrolytics, a.k.a. "recapping" the radio.

They occasionally take out a diode or transistor from excessive current, but 95% of the time recapping will cure all faults in those late 70's / early 80's Uniden board sets.

Very common repair.
I have forgotten to mention that I have completely recapped this stalker only yesterday ( 8/04/17). The fault started before I recapped it.
All new capacitors are Panasonic 50 volt and purchased as a complete kit.
tony2803

Post by tony2803 »

Admiral wrote:Stick it in your favourite forum 'For Sale' for £30 and keep bumping it to compete with Clive who also has 99% of his posts there, and don't forget to post it this time.
??????????????
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

tony2803 wrote:I have forgotten to mention that I have completely recapped this stalker only yesterday
It's probably had one of its small diodes go, either as a result of the bad baps or just a coincidence.

Do you have a multimeter with a diode check (forward voltage measurement) function, and preferably an oscilloscope?
First thing to do would be to check the diodes, especially those on the middle part of the board (AM audio and AGC detectors).

Less of a chance, but seen occasionally - those shiny green polyester capacitors with the 3 digit value code on them. We see two or three of those old Uniden radios a year with leaky or shorted examples of those.
tony2803

Post by tony2803 »

lbcomms wrote:
tony2803 wrote:I have forgotten to mention that I have completely recapped this stalker only yesterday
It's probably had one of its small diodes go, either as a result of the bad baps or just a coincidence.

Do you have a multimeter with a diode check (forward voltage measurement) function, and preferably an oscilloscope?
First thing to do would be to check the diodes, especially those on the middle part of the board (AM audio and AGC detectors).

Less of a chance, but seen occasionally - those shiny green polyester capacitors with the 3 digit value code on them. We see two or three of those old Uniden radios a year with leaky or shorted examples of those.
Thanks for your reply, will go through it this afternoon and see if anything is faulty.
tony2803

Post by tony2803 »

tony2803 wrote:
lbcomms wrote:

Thanks for your reply, will go through it this afternoon and see if anything is faulty.
As reference to this fault. Someone mentioned a Q1 fault not familiar with this Q1. Can someone enlighten me as to what Q1 actually is. Thanks.
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

A little black thing with three legs. with "C1675" written on the front of it.

If it's faulty, receive will be very low in all modes. As you previously said that SSB was OK, that component will also be OK. Your problem will be elsewhere.
tony2803

Post by tony2803 »

lbcomms wrote:A little black thing with three legs. with "C1675" written on the front of it.

If it's faulty, receive will be very low in all modes. As you previously said that SSB was OK, that component will also be OK. Your problem will be elsewhere.
Thanks for your reply. Ok found fault TR35 transistor had gone down popped a new one in and everything is ok loud rx audio now on all modes.
Thanks everyone for your help and assistance great help all of you.