Mega16 AVR controlled PLL02A SSB project

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Mega16 AVR controlled PLL02A SSB project

Post by lbcomms »

There's a lot more to SSB than "sliding" to it. You need to split the AM signal into its 3 basic components (the carrier and the two sidebands). This takes very sharp filters and equally stable oscillators to achieve. If you want to play with the circuit as described, you'll need an SSB radio that uses a PLL02A PLL chip.

For some BASCOM radio related examples, have a look at: https://www.qsl.net/pa3ckr/index.html
Poteroa
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: Teuvo

Post by Poteroa »

Thank you for the link lbcomms, some reading for rainy evenings. 😄
ve7xpo
New User
New User
Call Sign: ve7xpo

Post by ve7xpo »

So any code for this yet? I've been looking into doing this for a while with an arduino or avr. I'm too in experienced with the coding but slowly learning. Plans are to do a 3 digit display and go from -80 to +80 channels or something in that ball park and have a scan feature
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

Wow, holy thread resurrection, that was from 4 years ago :o

Going to need a bit of info on the hardware and your capabilities / test equipment before writing a single line of code.

What radio / PCB number? If it's an original FCC radio, expanding it to cover over 2 MHz ("-80 to +80 channels" read as 26.055 to 28.305) is going to need more than an alignment, changes will be needed to the PLL/VCO and mixer/RF stages to cover that sort of range whilst retaining near to decent RF performance. Changing the display to 3 digits is going to mean replacing the display board and probably some dremel hackery to make it fit - a lot of work for an extra digit.

Neither of the above are for someone inexperienced / not comfortable with RF and digital electronics inside a radio - what you want to do is definitely possible to code, but you need to have the hardware sorted 100% first...
ve7xpo
New User
New User
Call Sign: ve7xpo

Post by ve7xpo »

I was just talking about any Cybernet 02A radio as this original thread was based on. Basically a program that outputs binary on 8 pins and displays channel number on the display with a rotary encoder.

Most off the shelf 3 digit 7 segments fit physically in place of the 2 digit ones (atleast for any cobra/uniden radio i've tried which are generally the same in most CB's) An example would be the Digimax kit or Lescomm kit in the US that already does this. You're already custom mounting the rotary encoder so fitting the display isn't too much extra work.

I've installed a few Digimax kits now, but being in Canada, they are expensive with shipping etc.
Deon
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by Deon »

Nice Discussion, where van i get this document with pictures
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

Long gone, unfortunately. We moved on to current tech (Arduino minis and Nanos) shortly after that early experiment.