Mega16 AVR controlled PLL02A SSB project

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
lbcomms

Re: Mega16 AVR controlled PLL02A SSB project

Post by lbcomms » 04 Apr 2017, 20:28

Did you get your day off and get around to making one, or are you still waiting for the parts and the programmer?

Once you've got yours made, it's "I've shown you mine, you show me yours", then we'll start in the programming.

With the soldering, it doesn't have to be that good, it's only DC. A lot of the gear we work with is digital microwave radio, 4 gigs up to about 18. No room for less than perfect soldering there, a lumpy joint becomes an extra inductor or capacitor :problem: . After working with those for the last 15 years your soldering looks pretty good...

Wombatsone
New User
New User

Post by Wombatsone » 12 Feb 2018, 07:07

Hi @lbcomms, just wondering if these are suitable for this project? Or will I have to live with my embarrassing soldering skills.

Cheers

lbcomms

Post by lbcomms » 12 Feb 2018, 19:35

It'll be OK for development and testing, but too big and fragile (the wire connections) for a final fix inside a radio, especially a mobile. Lots of connections to come loose, fall off, or become noisy.

Some of those dev boards also use a regulator with 12V max input, feed them with 13.8V+ from a car alternator or a base power supply and an expensive chain reaction (i.e. radios PLL chip) awaits...

Wombatsone
New User
New User

Post by Wombatsone » 13 Feb 2018, 07:28

Awesome it will at least let me start playing, I am so far behind with this digital stuff, just playing catch up. :)