Bremi BRL210 goes bang flash boom

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Bremi BRL210 goes bang flash boom

Post by NightProwler »

Hey all, Switched the ole Bremi on last night but after a couple minutes the valve wasnt glowing like it used too just really really dim. Anyway I went to grab something from behind the radio and accidentally hit the deskmic causing it to key up...This was followed by a hell of a flash that made me scream like a school girl. The 2A fuse inside was dead so I changed it, The amp powers up again but the valve is not glowing at all. Is this a dead valve or something else? Never owned valve gear before and to be honest it scares me stupid :shock:

Cheers all...Rich :thumbup:

Oh forgot to mention it's freezing in my shack so I dont know if thats anything to do with it.
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
timbob58
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26tm957

Re: Bremi BRL210 goes bang flash boom

Post by timbob58 »

Oh forgot to mention it's freezing in my shack so I dont know if thats anything to do with it.
bet you were only useing it to heat the shack up :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Post by ghost123uk »

NightProwler wrote:but the valve is not glowing at all. Is this a dead valve or something else?
First thing to do is remove the valve and make sure the heater is in one piece. Test pins 4 & 5 with your meter, set to read Ohms on a low (200ish) range. I'm not sure what exactly is the resistance, that doesn't really matter, you are checking that it's not open circuit or a dead short.

Pins =

Pic courtesy of http://www.tubeampdoctor.com

If the heater appears ok, next, with the valve still out of the unit, carefully measure the AC voltage on the valve socket pins 4 & 5. It should be close to 6.3 Volts (assuming your valve number starts with EL).

Let "us" know your findings.
NightProwler wrote:Never owned valve gear before and to be honest it scares me stupid :shock:
Yes, do be careful. The Anode voltage is in the region of 800V DC. The associated capacitor can (and does) store high voltages for a while after the unit is powered down. Check the Anode to chassis voltage with your meter, set to it's highest DC range, 10 minutes after powering down, to be on the safe side.
NightProwler wrote:Oh forgot to mention it's freezing in my shack so I don't know if that's anything to do with it.
Unlikely unless A) - You had not powered that unit up for many months or B) - it is damp in there.
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

All good info there ghost123uk .

So we now all know who to come to when our valve amps die :)

Sammy
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

Cheers everyone I'll take a look when I got 5 minutes free and report back :thumbup:
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

NightProwler wrote:Cheers everyone I'll take a look when I got 5 minutes free and report back :thumbup:
Yes you'll have to report back as soon as so we know you're safe and haven't accidently fried yourself by probing around in a live tube amp!
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

Thanks for making me even more paranoid :shock:
radio pete
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26EY49G7xxx

Post by radio pete »

My guess is the valve has gone heater cathode short
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

My guess is it's broken with a capital F.
I will not be commanded, I will not be controlled.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

FUBAR ;)

I think we need a Youtube video done. Not of the amp problem, but of NightProwler squealing like a girly :)