WKS 1001 Questions

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
ChrisMagpie
Call Sign: 26TM553

Re: WKS 1001 Questions

Post by ChrisMagpie »

:shh: WKS 1001 is not a Cybernet radio
Interesting video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RZMnblU4B4
harakiri

Post by harakiri »

ChrisMagpie wrote::shh: WKS 1001 is not a Cybernet radio
Interesting video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RZMnblU4B4
Ah. I`ve watched almost every video weazle66 has put out there. It is great for both info and learning. Easy to listen to as well. I recommend his videos for everyone that has not watched it. At least for people like me,in early stages of learning. I have not seen any new videos there for a while now though.
Eh..Its time.
ChrisMagpie
Call Sign: 26TM553

Post by ChrisMagpie »

harakiri wrote:
Ah. I`ve watched almost every video weazle66 has put out there. It is great for both info and learning. Easy to listen to as well. I recommend his videos for everyone that has not watched it. At least for people like me,in early stages of learning. I have not seen any new videos there for a while now though.
I've watched all of his videos, too :) He also sold me a transistor, for a rig I was working on, and it worked fine :thumbup:
Marky-boy
Regular
Regular

Post by Marky-boy »

I just found my old MK I Cobra on Ebay.. i wasn't planning on buying one yet, but hey, i wonder what state it is in cosmetically.. but i bought it, prob need to spend a few ££ on it cosmetically if its ok electrically.. seems i might be spending more time here reading up on where to source any bits o may need.. i won't miss the WKS though, except it does smell *really* nice inside.. i wish the Cobra's smelled the same way.. nostalgia eh ?
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 163dt307

Post by dt307 »

https://www.rfparts.com/galaxyradioparts.htmlcan get cosmetic parts like cases,bezels,knobs,decals ect easy from usa a lot of the galaxy range parts fit
the new bezel for my 148f im restoring came from usa galaxy dx 88hl

not sure which is the same as the 148 gtl dx tho

i (THINK) its the galaxy 33 is the gtldx bezel only issue is the hole is bigger on the front because this is for a front mic on the 33 but the 148 tinplate covers this so its not a problem

some one on here was selling new tin plates for the fronts
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein
Marky-boy
Regular
Regular

Post by Marky-boy »

i think i will need to send this Mk I Cobra away, it's got too many problems for me to fix, it works, but its been Eprommed and it's flaky, or i might sell it and cut my losses :( sad day.
harakiri

Post by harakiri »

Marky-boy wrote:i think i will need to send this Mk I Cobra away, it's got too many problems for me to fix, it works, but its been Eprommed and it's flaky, or i might sell it and cut my losses :( sad day.
I know the feeling Mb. Some radios is just like a cluster of challenges when having a look inside it. I had a few Jacksons like that. One did rx and tx,and one did barley rx and no tx. Looking on the one that did both I thought it was a miracle that it even did light up. Board was all messed up,coils stretched out and lots of things. It did not sound good on tx according to the reports,and I decided (based on the boards condition) that the one that did not tx at all should be the one to be attempted to save. At least the board had all its tracks on it.. hehe. I later found a fake 477 in the one that did not tx. It looks like someone tried to fix it before,but did not succeed. We`ll see if I can get it back to life some day.
Eh..Its time.
Marky-boy
Regular
Regular

Post by Marky-boy »

Ye, i just put it up on Ebay just now, the damn thing only arrived this morning too, but having been out of the CB doctoring business for over 20 years i decided it was too much work to restore it back to stock as the damn thing has a nasty EPROM conversion.. i know they can be reversed, but i'm so out of practice i'll probably do more harm than good, so it can go for spares or someone who is still doing this sort of thing.
Why do people abuse these damn things so much ? they should be publicly flogged and prohibited from buying non-essentials for 5 years or something !

Good luck Harakiri with the fake 477, (747 ?) - I know my limits, and you've to draw a line under the time you'd spend vs the enjoyment you'll get out of the set, but after nearly 20 or so years abscence from the scene i find i've got less patience fixing old radio stuff, instead spending my time doing computer OS & Apple Mac and and Motorola digital voice stuff nowadays instead.. though i yearn for the days of simple CB fixes .. .i always get the weird ones... :)
harakiri

Post by harakiri »

Marky-boy wrote: Why do people abuse these damn things so much ? they should be publicly flogged and prohibited from buying non-essentials for 5 years or something !

Good luck Harakiri with the fake 477, (747 ?)
Why some people abuse these radios so much probably has a lot to do with ignorance. They don`t know better. Someone told them that they can get louder,stronger and become the dx-kings of the world maybe. Lack of information to contradict the "experts" that suggest running it at full power. Now Internet is here,so I really hope those persons (if they have a real passion for radios) take the time to read up. Before internet there was library`s,but many places that`s to "geeky" maybe.. hehe.. Then I guess internet would not help those either.

I while back I bought a box with 4 radios,several mics,speaker and cables etc.. Well,I never use coax without checking it,so when I did,many looks like this when the plugs was taken off.
scary.JPG

I was shocked how stupid its possible to be. I was happy the radio`s did not show any effects of this being used on them,but scary as hell. A good reminder not to use unknown cables without making sure they`re not just simply a "radio kill switch" . :lol:

I mix up the number for the Jackson/Lincoln finals often,but I think it was a fake 477 I found. The one that ended its production and later was replaced with the 455(I think) :lol: ,hard to remember numbers these days,I`m getting older.

Thanks,but it will be awhile until I even would start on the Jackson recover. Its not going anywhere,but a Grant and a Madison is in line for some small work first. A Uniden pc-244 is on my desk these days,as I am using that radio as a do it all to.. Except running it on full power and things like that. :lol: And come to think of it,I expect 2 more radio`s to be added to my tiny collection soon. Hopefully before xmas. Those does not require work as far as I know,except maybe turning it back to stock.

Hope your radio gets the "Cobra treatment" (since it is a Cobra) on ebay,then it could catch fire and fetch back money for you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eh..Its time.
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 163dt307

Post by dt307 »

Gutted for you m8 i do love the mk1 and hate the mk2
I would have had a go at that but I must have spent 600 on rigs in a short time so I have to stay of the bay
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein
Marky-boy
Regular
Regular

Re: WKS 1001 Questions (confused.com)

Post by Marky-boy »

Thanks Guys .. good to have a shoulder to cry on LOL - i really thought this old MK I i just picked up was my old set, it had (what i thought) was a tell tale scratch on the top chrome. I was wrong, or i likely wouldn't have bothered.
Now it's on the Bay along with my old WKS.
It was nice to hear the weird but distinctive beep again (they hated it on 10m SSB) but hey, some you win, some you lose eh.
I even weakened a little, and added a couple MK II on my watch list, but figured that as i'm no fan of the MK II, and if i was going to spend over 100 notes, i might as well look at alternatives for now.

A full night of researching 10m/11m multimodes, CRT ss7900s catch my attention, but my heart still isn't in it, especially remembering the lack of solar activity, it would just end up just being sat there squelched 24/7 monitoring 27.025 AM all the time,
and i could do that with a straight 40 AM for much less bucks.

As you say Harakiri, maybe i'll get a few quid back for the Cobra on Ebay, the WKS is nearly ended & it's had over 300 views, 38 watchers, and so far 12 bids, if the same happens to the Cobra - i'll be even more tempted to try a ss7900 or similar
I can only imagine what state even humble co-ax gets into, back in the day i saw some sites, got to be twice as bad nowadays. i remember emptying nearly a box of what looked like budgie seed out of an old analog satellite TV box once...

I had never seen a 477 Harikiri, so that was good to read about, and it led to a few other sets i'd missed in my 148 days,
even Jacksons were rare, Madisons i saw occasionally, i like the Grant too, i remember modding the 148 PA mod to 148s to make it Grant-like, (back when it was fashionable to mod any rig) I wouldn't dream of it nowadays, not that i had much of a play with Pres Grants even back then.
i do prefer Uniden boards, though from a nostalgia viewpoint i enjoyed my old Stag 357 too.. so kind of nice to have had thw WKS sat here for a year or two, and so Hopefully you'll get a couple more sets to play with before xmas.

DT307 - Thanks for the link to RF Parts too, i see they are in California, i just come back from that part of the world, maybe i should have looked for more CB stuff out there, but i only saw truck stops selling shiny new CBs.

I read quite a bit about Cobra bezels this week, and the 3900 may fit it seems, i went nearly 10 years with a fully black (and unmarked) bezel on my original MK I Superstar 360 FM - back in the late 80s / early 90s i had no-one to ask where to get one - Deb's decals, apparently got bought out i'd read, another Guy somewhere else did too, i never found any contact details for them, but as I just joined this site, it's good news that someone on here was making the tin fronts... so I will keep an eye open then, because i'll probably need one eventually, as i do still want a MK I Cobra, but i will wait now, as i'm not paying the outrageous collector prices for them, and i sold my last great MK I for only 75 quid..

Think i need to read much more about these chinese 10m multimodes.. if i get one, it has to have CTCSS. Hmm.

have added that site to my bookmarks though, nice find Chris,