The inside of Cobra GTL-150.

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
johnkyrle
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM3375

Re: The inside of Cobra GTL-150.

Post by johnkyrle »

astradyne wrote:I have a really nice Multimode 2. Completely standard and it's actually a good radio to use.

I'd agree with your statement about the Cobra 148 GTL-DX. Some horrific mods and botch jobs on these radio's. Back in the day a lot of these mods were desirable, but today they're frowned upon. Similarly, a lot of Cybernet boarded radio's suffered at the hands of people with good ideas. So the risk is there on both sides.

In the 80's/90's if a 148 didn't have half a dozen bands added, legal UK readout, splits, switchable bleep and the RF power cranked up to the max nobody would touch it. If a "virgin' 148 GTL-DX pops up today it will command a premium price. Back then nobody would want it because it didn't have super low to super high and legal readout. How times have changed and preferences reversed.

There are some hellish 148's popping up on eBay. They make you wonder what was going through the minds of some people.

Happily, there are still some gems out there. Few and far between and catch a lot of interest when they do appear.

May I present for you THAT Cobra 148 GTL-DX MK2...
Christ thats almost as clean as mine!!! Want it :crazy:
harakiri

Post by harakiri »

johnkyrle wrote:
astradyne wrote:I have a really nice Multimode 2. Completely standard and it's actually a good radio to use.

I'd agree with your statement about the Cobra 148 GTL-DX. Some horrific mods and botch jobs on these radio's. Back in the day a lot of these mods were desirable, but today they're frowned upon. Similarly, a lot of Cybernet boarded radio's suffered at the hands of people with good ideas. So the risk is there on both sides.

In the 80's/90's if a 148 didn't have half a dozen bands added, legal UK readout, splits, switchable bleep and the RF power cranked up to the max nobody would touch it. If a "virgin' 148 GTL-DX pops up today it will command a premium price. Back then nobody would want it because it didn't have super low to super high and legal readout. How times have changed and preferences reversed.

There are some hellish 148's popping up on eBay. They make you wonder what was going through the minds of some people.

Happily, there are still some gems out there. Few and far between and catch a lot of interest when they do appear.

ehrm.. Welcome to the "I want it" club! :lol:

Hm.. Maybe I should have a week,next week where I use my MK2. Lately I`ve been using the Stalker most of the time. They are both sweet though.. I need to rotate the radios more..
Eh..Its time.
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

johnkyrle wrote:

Almost as clean as yours?

You must post some pictures.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
johnkyrle
Regular
Regular

Post by johnkyrle »

My Cobra
rsz_img_1832.jpg
rsz_1rsz_img_1824.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnkyrle
Regular
Regular

Post by johnkyrle »

Resized images.Will try and get full size close up's soon.Please excuse the Dosy on top.Shack set up has changed since this photo