I need someone to make me a one off pic.

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
speeddemon

Re: I need someone to make me a one off pic.

Post by speeddemon »

Hi sue how r u .? i hope u doing gd over there yes that be great :) sorry for late reply back been busy here could you include a extra programed hex file so my n others going to be reading your upcoming posting atmega 16mod with pll02a ssb radio's to have full channels coverage ? Ie full bands of lows/ mids /highs/ alfa's/ nz/ uk etc? If possible .? :ugeek: :thumbup: {bnghd} cheers n 73's
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

It will be more of a educational thing as opposed to a super all-channels ultimate by "fit this IC and join the yellow wire to D39" type mod. Yes it's easy to make it have multiple bands of 40 channels, so you can easily switch between say channel 22 UK, USA, and NZ. You'll need to customise that part yourself though, if you can't figure it out I'll be here to help. The ultimate aim though is to show others how to do this stuff.

I'll do two versions, one with an encoder and the other with a traditional 40 position switch + a band selector (like on the original Jackson). It'll then be up to you to study how the code works and alter it to suit your own requirements :)
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Hi sue I look forward your posting and to reading and learning a lot from it :ugeek: :thumbup: ty I sure I would i need to ask you a few questions down the road how the code works and help to reprograming the code to get channels/bands i would want as im new to useing a atmega16. {bnghd} . take care n hav a gdday cheers n 73's
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

I'll post a schematic and well commented out source code for it. You'll need to know some basic electronics and how binary works to make sense of it though.

Should be about another week, work is finally starting to return to normal. As long as there's not more dramas on the horizon - can't see anything there now, but one can never be sure :problem:
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Hi sue how r u .? I hope u doing gd :thumbup: :) are you going to be posting something your atmega 16 pll 02a mod soon? {bnghd} :ugeek: Cheers n 73's
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

Started it, will post the schematic and an installation on a first gen PLL02A SSB radio as soon as it's tested. Board is made and coded, but not in the radio yet. Should be around the middle of the week, as long as real work doesn't get in the way. We are back to pretty much normal now, so I'm confident we'll be good for later this week...
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Hi sue ok sounds gd i hope to see and read and do that mod to a few of my radios :ugeek: :crazy: hope to see your posting soon if I can ask u a question ? your help/expertise on will a atmega 16 or a pic 16fxxx can replace a old tms1023nl mcu chip ? {bnghd} :roll: :crazy: Have a radio with that chip missing and can use your help on it {bnghd} :thumbup: . Take care and cheers and 73's :thumbup: :wave:
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

Did a bit more on it today. Got the board fitted to the radio but the radio has a few minor issues to sort out before I give it to the guys to have some fun on the local SSB call channel. It is nearly 40 years old, so it was expected to have a few minor repairs required. Touch wood, should be completed in the next couple of days.

Need more details on the tms1023 replacement. What radio, and can you post a link to a schematic for the thing? The TMS chips are general purpose micros, so I'll need to know what interfaces (digital / analog / busses) and how many are needed for the radio you have. The more info you have, the better. For one-off projects like that, AVR is preferable as it's a lot easier build the circuit and code it in-situ through an SPI bus than it is with PIC.

You should be able to do it with the Mega16 as long as you don't need dozens of I/O lines, such as if the radio has a complex LCD readout. One for when you get a bit more experienced with coding and debugging in a few months? Would be and interesting "learning" project...
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Hi sue the radio is a browning mark 4 It having a tms1022nl mcu controled mc104106 pll circuit :ugeek: :shock: :crazy: it has a simple display readout that chip was used in a few radios back in the 80's ie robyn sb540d elbex pd8500d philips ap399 realistic trc 459 trc 480 etc .browning mark 4 had same type mcu control circuit just Minus a key pad Only info I hav on that chip after a long google search i could find on it was :ugeek: a tms1000nl program manual that it is a tms1000 series 4mhz 28pin Internal rom programmable mcu chip mos/lsi one chip microcomputer chip {bnghd} I would like use a avr 8/16 etc.? to replace the missing chip in it and hav full channels and a working radio again any help u can give is a appreciated

cheers n 73's
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

Only "browning mark 4" I can see is an old valve era thing, has a separate box for the transmitter and receiver, is that the one?

If it is, there's a lot of discrete logic in there, and it looks like an EPROM, not a micro. Best bet for that one would be to rip out all the mid 70's era stuff like the VCO, PLL, and control logic and leave the existing controls and display in place. Replace all the old stuff with modern technology rather than trying to interface to really old TTL circuitry.

If that's not the one, can you post a link to the radio you want to update?
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Hi sue yes it a old classic tube hybrid 2 pice browing mark 4 tthe tranmiter is none working because of that missing tms1023nl chip {bnghd} it had a bad designed pll circuit from factory :ugeek: I tryed to post up the schematic for it got a webb error :shock: didn't work every thing is working exp the transmiter / no display/ no transmit feq {bnghd} because of that missing old tms chip yes I would like to do what you said and just rip out all the old ttl pll circuitry :idea: :ugeek: but every thing is 95% there n tested to function the crazy previous owner removed it for some reason :crazy: Thats why I didn't pay much for it at the time 10 years ago :mrgreen: I just end up putting it out on the back burner shelf forgotten intill i seen this posting for a one off pic controller and seened and done your atmega8 upd858 mod :ugeek: :clap: I never got around to fixing it couldnt find that tms chip or parts radio etc and busy with work/fam at the time had past by i looked everywhere for it i still couldn't find that old tms chip or a equivalent replacement for it or a nomad pll set up I would like to just simply interface a avr to the mc104106 pll get the thing fully working and exspanded channels and hav a better more modern pll control circuit . will your atmega 16 pll 02a mod circuit work or whats needed to be changed /added to the circuit / hex file need to changed to work with that pll ? I Havnt seen your circuit diagram yet gotta wait for you to post It up your avr circuit mod hopefully soon cheers n 73's :thumbup: :wave:
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

Don't try an post the actual schematic, just a link or even just the URL (the web address of it as text as opposed to a clickable link) will do.

I wouldn't bother with the MCxxxxx chips, they needs 8 or 9 lines and a downmixer to work. Both can be eliminated by using a modern serial PLL that needs only 2 program wires and the chip will be fast enough to divide the VCO directly without using a downmixer to feed it. Serial PLLs are a pain if you are at the stage where you cut or join PLL tracks to add more channels, but are much easier once you know how to make an AVR talk to them :geek:

Two or three wires for however many channels you want. A basic serial PLL has 65500+ "channels" in it, fancier ones have millions. That's how modern ham and commercial radios can do 1.6 to 30 megs in 10Hz steps, all with one PLL chip.

The only change would be in the code, the schematic will be identical. Change the parallel output port to a hardware or bit-banged SPI or I2C/TWI port in software, connect to serial PLL, and send some data to it. Sounds complicated if you are not familiar with microcontroller logic, but it's a couple of "libraries" (will explain those later) and five or six lines of code to change.

Depending on how broad the radio is, it shouldn't be too hard to cover all of 27 megs in 1K or 5K steps. If it's a broad radio, maybe 26 or 28 as well.

But learn the Cybernet version of the schematic and code first, until you understand the basics...

Will be posting the schematic and pictures of the AVR modded radio in the next day or three, once it's been completed / tested and I get a couple of spare hours at the shop to do the photos and type it all up.
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Hi sue :wave: that be great :D and ty. yes I agree 100% this will great learning experience for me and others that who are bit green /new to such endeavor's that are reading this post Ive been waiting to see / learn /do your atmega 16 02a ssb circuit mod to a few of my radios colleting dust :ugeek: :D :thumbup: I know im little behind times with avr/pic micro controlling a pll chips and a little rusty newbie at coding but im studying/ learning c code programing . :ugeek: what modern serial pll should I get .? Got a part number /link .? I would Just need a schematic of the atmega 16 controller/ channel display interfaceing with the new modern pll chip and source code / hex file to do it The electronic's and hex files anit a problem I would like to do your idea :geek: and get this old ttl tube mark 4 radio working again and with a modern pll /vco circuitry with full channels / full bands coverage .. You said that old cant get no more pain in da seat tms 1023nl chip looked like a eprom ? Which eprom a tms 2708 / tms 2716 ? cheers n 73's :wave:
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

The schematic I've got here shows the chip (IC410) as a "1302". That's an ancient Intel 2Kx8 EPROM, better known as a 1702A.

Browning control circuit

Intel 1702A pinout

Comparing the pinout to the schematic:

1) The CS (chip select) pin is grounded. This is used to select the EPROM to be read from in a circuit with two or more of them. Since there is only one, it's permanently grounded to just "select" that one all the time.

2) Apart from the CS line, there is no ground pin. It gets its "ground" from the +5 and -9V pins (ground is 64% of the way from -9 to +5V)

3) Pins 16 and 24 go to -9V. Pins 12, 15, 22, and 23 go to +5V. PRG is tied to 5V in read mode.

4) Pins 1,2, 3, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 are the inputs (address connections) from the counter / display chips IC401-IC404 and IC501-IC502.

5) Pins 4 to 10 are the outputs (DATA connections) to the PLL. Pin 11 (the 8th data bit) is not needed on a 7 bit discrete PLL.

If it looks like a 1702A, feels like a 1702A, and acts like a 1702A then chances are it's a 1702A :D

The 1702A is a programmable device, so in addition to buying a chip that hasn't been made in 40 years you'll also need to both obtain the data it needs and then get it programmed into the device. This will be a major challenge.

The other problem is those early 70's era TTL chips are notoriously unreliable, especially when it comes to RF and analog voltages.

BUT:

All of the counter, control, and display driving chips could be replaced by a single Mega16.
Same goes for the PLL and VCO - a single DDS or Silabs chip could replace both the the ten (!) chip PLL circuit and the discrete VCO section.

Only problem is the mixer, being a thermionic device, needs about 6 volts of local oscillator drive level. A small linear amplifier with about 10dB of gain will be needed between the new synth and the local oscillator connection, a fairly simple addition.

It would be an interesting project as both a learning thing and modernising an old radio into a usable "daily driver"...
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Hi sue :wave: I hope things are gd for you im getting read of all that old ttl circuitry :ugeek: and going with yours :geek: witch new serial ppl chip should i buy ? {bnghd} do you hav a part number for it ? Datasheet ? and yes i agree it be a interesting educational project for da old tube radio hopefully the new pll circuit / atmega 16 controller/ channel display with that 6 volt amp ciruit that you come up with will be posted here when you can a chance to get to It after your atmega 16 pll 02a circuit mod . can be applied to other ppl radios that are reading this post that hav that radio or the for mentioned earlier trc459 elbex pd8500d similar radios etc cheers n 73's :thumbup: :wave: