Ranger 2950 buzz/hum on recieve

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
pinnywells
Regular
Regular

Ranger 2950 buzz/hum on recieve

Post by pinnywells »

Anyone help I have a ranger 2950f that has a buzz/hum on recieve.any help would be perfect thanks.
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Re: Ranger 2950 buzz/hum on recieve

Post by ghost123uk »

Welcome Transmission1, where you can learn all you need to, and lots that you don't :)

Well, lets not worry about "Hi, I am new here" etc ;) plus, as this is a technical question, it really should go in the relevant section, here -> http://www.transmission1.eu/viewforum.php?f=2= (or perhaps here -> http://www.transmission1.eu/viewforum.php?f=53 I am quite new here too! - A mod might move it for you.)

My favourite radio the Ranger 2950 :thumbup:

Anyway, straight to the issue we go:-

Does it sound like a 50Hz hum/buzz? like this = CLICK HERE, or more of a higher pitched whining sound?

What PSU are you using? (try it on a car battery, being VERY careful to get your red & black (+ve and -ve) the right way round !! = does it still do it?)

Any fluorescent lighting nearby?

Any TV or computer monitor close by?

Does it change depending whether an aerial is connected or not? (if "yes" do you own a dummy load to plug in and see what happens then)
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

"If you're not sure where to post, try here!"
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ghost123uk »

Admiral wrote:"If you're not sure where to post, try here!"
:thumbup:
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
pinnywells
Regular
Regular

Post by pinnywells »

I just won it on eBay as faulty so don't know what the sound is as yet just getting some into before it arrives so as to give the rig doctor the heads up if it a fault someone has heard off the listing says gurbble/ hum on all incoming bands
timbob58
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26tm957

Post by timbob58 »

oh and Welcome to the forum 8)
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"
timbob58
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26tm957

Post by timbob58 »

opps
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"
pinnywells
Regular
Regular

Post by pinnywells »

Opps as in not good
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ghost123uk »

timbob58 wrote:opps
:?
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

pinnywells wrote:I just won it on eBay as faulty so don't know what the sound is as yet just getting some into before it arrives so as to give the rig doctor the heads up if it a fault someone has heard off the listing says gurbble/ hum on all incoming bands
Buzz/hum could be anything or nothing at all, wait until you get it then see.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
George EI7KO
Call Sign: EI7KO

Post by George EI7KO »

Wit it solder side up and lid off when you get it have a look half way down one side. In line with where the bracket bolts in. On some of these the regulator legs can break away from the board. You'll see it straight away as the solder will be broken. Or with reference to the bracket bolt, if too long a bolt is used there's a cap right in line with the threaded insert in the radios frame and the cap gets pushed over and damaged. I had one here with a hum and no receive and it had both of these faults.
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

I'm no expert but I do have some knowledge of those symptoms, its most likely to be a faulty capacitor or 2 or maybe a dry joint somewhere on one of the capacitors I'd also check the crystal filtering in the RX section... it could be a number of things really