Pres Lincoln II v3 - Echo O.T.T.?!

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Pres Lincoln II v3 - Echo O.T.T.?!

Post by 108EH002 »

Kaos wrote:I had the V1 and within weeks it went back to president and they MODDED it and sent it back with a V2 sticker on the box. I then got a V3 to play with and the V2 outperforms the V3 on RX by a football field.

I understand the Lincoln 2 will be sold without the V3 sticker on. Subtle changes to the outside of the radio will be the distinguishing features, along with a Ser number etc.

No V4.
Did you get the ssb overload sorted but not the vco/channel change ?
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
Kaos
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Kaos »

The SSB overload was sorrted on the V2.

The VCO is a different unit on the V3. Saying that I have no "skipping" on the V2. Some had no SSB overload on the V1 either.....
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

I didn't bother sending my V1 back,because the vco would not have been sorted as it did skip frequency :(

27.555 Usb
cjay
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: cjay

Post by cjay »

millsrocks wrote:
cjay wrote:The echo is controlled by a digital potentiometer but it does look possible to disable it if it's not an option in the menus.

As for 'too much, what do you mean, too long a delay, too loud, too long a decay period?

The echo is too loud, cjay...even at it's lowest setting.
infact, you can't really shorten it that much either.
You can turn it on and off tho via the 'echo' button.

I really like echo on FM...but subtle background stuff...gives the voice a spatial feel.
It's just unusable on this radio...which is a shame.
Well you'll probably need to dive in with the soldering iron I'm afraid, the echo 'mix' is set in software too.
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

So some V3's seem to be ok for some,while other V3's are not working properly when it comes to the echo,the radio is not fit for the purpose you bought it for millsrocks as you like to use echo and you can't as it is pant's on your radio and sticking a solder iron inside a new radio should not be needed,maybe President either need to fix this problem on existing V3's with the "known" fault that some have noticed.And if the "V2 has better rx than the V3 by the length of a football field" you own Kaos in your own word's,it doesn't sound like the V3 is as good as we are lead to believe then does it.V4 might still be on the card's or just don't buy a V3 me think's.

27.555 Usb
Mark-in-Essex
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Mark-in-Essex »

GeeFull wrote:On most radios that include an "Echo" there is usualy one function that works very well, the one turns it "OFF"! ;)

Amen to that :thumbup:
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

If you purchased a vehicle Kaos and it was recalled at a later date to fix a "known" problem,it would not have a sticker on it when you got it back saying latest V* model and be worse than what it was like before it was "fixed",it would just be fixed.But at least President have tried to at least rectify the problem for many who are/were not happy with their purchase of the L2 radio,but only to save face in the market/keep up sales in my opinion,unlike many other's who think we are all a pound short of a fiver and will just keep buying the next "version" of their cloned radio.

27.555 Usb
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Makes you wonder how the Anyclone factory got the Lincoln 2 so wrong, when other radios which use pretty much the same board work pretty well. :?:
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
Kaos
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Kaos »

108EH002 wrote:So some V3's seem to be ok for some,while other V3's are not working properly when it comes to the echo,the radio is not fit for the purpose you bought it for millsrocks as you like to use echo and you can't as it is pant's on your radio and sticking a solder iron inside a new radio should not be needed,maybe President either need to fix this problem on existing V3's with the "known" fault that some have noticed.And if the "V2 has better rx than the V3 by the length of a football field" you own Kaos in your own word's,it doesn't sound like the V3 is as good as we are lead to believe then does it.V4 might still be on the card's or just don't buy a V3 me think's.
I agree with you on that. I was very surprised with the V3 RX. If you look inside the V1 (V2) and compare it to the V3 it has its differences on the PCB.

There are a couple of users of the V3 who have sent their radio off to STABO here in Germany for modification.....The results and the figures (no reason to disbelieve them) are quite a surprise.

However...if these were factory produced after STABO upgrade it would cost more. Plenty of posts all over the shop complaining about the price for what it was etc....

To put it simply in my own opinion the radio is as is with no V4 on the horizon. President made good (to a point) the disaster that was the V1. Save face maybe......defiantly. When I spoke to them they were very accommodating. Did anyone get that option with an Anyclone?
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Kaos wrote:
108EH002 wrote:So some V3's seem to be ok for some,while other V3's are not working properly when it comes to the echo,the radio is not fit for the purpose you bought it for millsrocks as you like to use echo and you can't as it is pant's on your radio and sticking a solder iron inside a new radio should not be needed,maybe President either need to fix this problem on existing V3's with the "known" fault that some have noticed.And if the "V2 has better rx than the V3 by the length of a football field" you own Kaos in your own word's,it doesn't sound like the V3 is as good as we are lead to believe then does it.V4 might still be on the card's or just don't buy a V3 me think's.
I agree with you on that. I was very surprised with the V3 RX. If you look inside the V1 (V2) and compare it to the V3 it has its differences on the PCB.

There are a couple of users of the V3 who have sent their radio off to STABO here in Germany for modification.....The results and the figures (no reason to disbelieve them) are quite a surprise.

However...if these were factory produced after STABO upgrade it would cost more. Plenty of posts all over the shop complaining about the price for what it was etc....

To put it simply in my own opinion the radio is as is with no V4 on the horizon. President made good (to a point) the disaster that was the V1. Save face maybe......defiantly. When I spoke to them they were very accommodating. Did anyone get that option with an Anyclone?
Did anyone get that option with an Anyclone? = No.

27.555 Usb
cjay
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: cjay

Post by cjay »

108EH002 wrote:
Did anyone get that option with an Anyclone? = No.
Which is and always has been my argument, it's not just the product that defines the quality of a company, it's how well they deal with problems when things go wrong.
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

The echo on the President George is terrible too. Makes you sound like you're inside a metal bin.

I can't comment on the L2 echo as I've not yet tried it out. Mine is a V1 modded to V2 model. The receive on it is excellent. I bought it off a mate who purchased it new. He sent it off to President to get the mods done.

As for having an echo, I've downsized from a Melos size unit. I now use a Behringer EM600 guitar effects pedal which gives the option of tape, analog and digital delay settings. I fire my Turner +3B through it to great effect. Fantastic piece of kit and cost less to buy new than people pay for a second hand butchered Melos.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
jadocs
New User
New User

Post by jadocs »

Hey all,

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to post the following in case there are others like me doing an internet search on this issue.

I have the Lincoln v.3 and like most others, I thought there was no way to adjust the echo. I kept pressing and holding the echo button to enter the echo setup and changing the values. Nothing I adjusted to made a difference in how the echo sounded.....UNTIL I read the manual and found out that you have to press and hold the "menu" button after each echo value is adjusted for it to actually change (and stay at that setting).

In other words, to change echo settings:

- Press and hold the echo button to enter echo settings
- Adjust the first echo value to desired setting, then press and HOLD the MENU button
- Adjust the second echo value to desired setting, then press and HOLD the MENU button

Each echo value has to be changed and set at a time. In other words you can't change both echo values and press/hold the menu button (it will only save the last value if you do that).

Hope this helps somebody because it wasn't specifically stated in this thread how to change the echo settings. I adjusted mine to 1:1 and it sounds good (but I don't use it because I prefer full modulation).
millsrocks
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26CT1388

Post by millsrocks »

Never too late to post replies Jadocs.

Unfortunately, it doesn't solve my problem.
The echo level, even with both levels set to 1, is still way to loud. As loud as the actual modulation.
I would like it to be subtle and understated.
Thanks for stopping by tho :)
"Suicide Jockey"
26CT1388
Leatherhead, Surrey, UK.
-------------------------------
Radios:

President Grant II
Antennas:

Sirio Gain-Master (base)
Sirio 3000 Hi-power (mobile)