Ham international jumbo

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
siskin

Ham international jumbo

Post by siskin »

Help help plzzzzzzzzzzz
I have just brought a jumbo off flee bay it' looks like a stealth type I'm not sure if a gen import type from early 80s or a home brew job put a ex speaker in the freq jack n it gos mid hi hi hi take it out just uk fm n no ssb etc
The problem is its all works one channel up from what it should As if its got the alpha channels switched on but there seems to be no 10kz up shift switch
Any ideas plz it's got me stumped
rocket
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M0ROC

Re: Ham international jumbo

Post by rocket »

Summer is on the way, Jumbos make a talking point as a door stop to let the fresh air circulate at your QTH.

Seriously, whack it back on ebay and buy something else. If there was ever a good Jumobo made (which I doubt) then it has been defiled many many years ago.
73 de Mark
M0ROC, 26HB896, 26TM896
M0LGC (Letchworth Garden City Amateur Radio Society)
Flightradar24 live feed: T-EGGW38 via AirNav RadarBox 3D
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

Try pulling your knob out! :D

Or

Check that all the switches do as they say, have you had a look inside yet?
Can't help but love an Adams.

14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

siskin wrote:Help help plzzzzzzzzzzz
I have just brought a jumbo off flee bay it' looks like a stealth type I'm not sure if a gen import type from early 80s or a home brew job put a ex speaker in the freq jack n it gos mid hi hi hi take it out just uk fm n no ssb etc
The problem is its all works one channel up from what it should As if its got the alpha channels switched on but there seems to be no 10kz up shift switch
Hello

Please look here

http://www.ham-international.com/

@+
Claude
Photo Collector CB RADIO
163TM847
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 163TM847 »

siskin wrote: The problem is its all works one channel up from what it should As if its got the alpha channels switched on but there seems to be no 10kz up shift switch

Is that with the tune pushed in or pulled out ? Is it 10kc out when in normal export mode ?
siskin

Post by siskin »

Black Spirit wrote:
siskin wrote: The problem is its all works one channel up from what it should As if its got the alpha channels switched on but there seems to be no 10kz up shift switch

Is that with the tune pushed in or pulled out ? Is it 10kc out when in normal export mode ?
still doing it in and out on the tune it swings 5kz as it should both ways
but still reading one channel up
siskin

Post by siskin »

a shot in the dark here theres an eprom board for the uk could it be showing its age ? theres a 82ohm resistor on it thats getting very warm anyone know of this happerning at all
iv followed the switch gear and it all looks factory standard but open to ideas
sis
bigpimp347
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by bigpimp347 »

if thats a genuine stealth version i WANT IT..!!!!
thats one i don't have in my collection and been after a genuine one for years..!!

i'd even swap for a stock one that works fine..!!

oh 10kc out on every channel..
shouldn't be i'm sure i've seen this fault, but need to remember why..

the resistor getting hot, yup thats because they don't use a 5v regulator on the HAM marked Eprom.
thats just a period botch..
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

What only 1?

Surely it has to be worth much more than just a stock one that works fine!

Siskin if you have something that is a bit unusual in the Cybernet arena then why not get in touch with Cubwolf by personal message on here.

He sorted my Jumbo out a couple of years ago.

But you may well get it working with some help from folk on here and you may enjoy it ;)

Good luck.

163TM847
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 163TM847 »

When it is switched to UK only there has to be a trimmer that puts the coarse to UK offset in there somewhere, Its possible this trimmer or VR has been messed with and needs to be adjusted back, This is only a suggestion at this time as i have only ever seen one stealth jumbo and that was a long time ago.

Do all the UK channels work correctly [but 10kc out] or are there some odd or doubled channels ?
zephyr
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by zephyr »

Maybe you had it right in the first place and you just haven't found the 10kc switch.
Most of the older Eproms were programmed like that and have been copied may times by other people without correcting it.
I always program them so if your not on an alpha channel the radio doesn't go up one, fool proof.
siskin

Post by siskin »

Black Spirit wrote:When it is switched to UK only there has to be a trimmer that puts the coarse to UK offset in there somewhere, Its possible this trimmer or VR has been messed with and needs to be adjusted back, This is only a suggestion at this time as i have only ever seen one stealth jumbo and that was a long time ago.

Do all the UK channels work correctly [but 10kc out] or are there some odd or doubled channels ?
hi spirit theres no vr added in line that i can see no double channels when in standard mode channel 52 txs on 27.545 when in uk mode chanel 19 is txing on 27.771 with the course tune pulled out at 9 oclock its beyond me and im not wishing to make it worse
iv emaled the seller who said send it back im a bit weary about giving it back n losing the cash as well id love to geting up working as standard as thats all i wanted in 1st place mate
siskin

Post by siskin »

bigpimp347 wrote:if thats a genuine stealth version i WANT IT..!!!!
thats one i don't have in my collection and been after a genuine one for years..!!

oh 10kc out on every channel..
shouldn't be i'm sure i've seen this fault, but need to remember why..

the resistor getting hot, yup thats because they don't use a 5v regulator on the HAM marked Eprom.
thats just a period botch..
iv tryed to post a few piocs but its impossable on an ipad i think iv got your face book details if im right ill send some internal pics
siskin

Post by siskin »

iv looked n looked and i cant see any thing out of place ,i keep coming back to the eprom but its beyond my knowledge and im not prepared to risk fooking it up more
so im looking for some one who is trust worthy and knows what hes doing with cybernet gear to take the repair on for me any takers ? or recommendations
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

Black Spirit, PM him.