President grant 2 mod

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
CADman
New User
New User
Call Sign: 108FB995

Re: President grant 2 mod

Post by CADman »

I'll have a look at the Alinco, thanks to both of you.

All the best
Road_Hog
Banned
Banned

Post by Road_Hog »

CADman wrote:I'll have a look at the Alinco, thanks to both of you.

All the best
If you go for the Alinco, £126 from Radiozing, next day delivery included.

http://www.radiozing.co.uk/prices.php
WinDX
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM1500

Post by WinDX »

Good choice.

Did you buy that 450d RH?
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

I have had both and I think the Alinco is the better radio. Neither are perfect though.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
Macman
Call Sign: 163TM

Post by Macman »

Mudslinger wrote:I have had both and I think the Alinco is the better radio. Neither are perfect though.

I too have both. The PG is up for sale, the Allinco has its quirks, but in my opinion is the better bet. Not simply because it's way cheaper, its a better tool for DX. Coupled to a B550P and a Euromaster Plus microphone, I need only P4 on the amp and am getting solid reports from the States, Europe and beyond.

Yes, the Allinco is a bit crammed, but once setup, you really don't need to fiddle with the controls at all. For the money a true bargain.
Yesterday It Worked, Today It Won't That's Radio.
Road_Hog
Banned
Banned

Post by Road_Hog »

WinDX wrote:Good choice.

Did you buy that 450d RH?
No, I looked at it a fair bit a couple of months ago, which is how I knew Radioworld had a keen price on it (which is unlike them).

I bought an X108 about a month ago. Only just getting around to putting the aerial up, I'm a part timer and I've been without an HF set for some while. This one is just to ease me back in, then if I'm still enjoying it, this will probably end up as a mobile (very small). Then I'll look at a base unit, I did like the price on that 450d, but by the time I shall be up for another purchase (June) the cashback will be off. So I'll see what's around then.
minon
Regular
Regular

Post by minon »

Hi Guys,

I am finally going back on the air, but one question regarding the mod.

I have done the wire cutting and moved the jumper but I want to put a toggle switch on.

I got this from Maplins earlier : Part Number FH99H

Would that toggle switch work and if so the mentioned Graphics card fan cable how exactly does that work as I see on one post the jumper is completely covered (Is this for when switching you go back to standard and switch again back to export ?)

Also power wise is it a simple case of soldering the two wires onto the toggle switch and then connecting the large 3 pin jumper to the other end and thats it ?

Its being a while since I have done any micro electronics so thought it best to ask.

Thanks

29 WF 252 :-)