CRE 8900 frequency correction

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
VintageTin
Call Sign: 26TM516

CRE 8900 frequency correction

Post by VintageTin »

I don't know whether I am the only person to have suffered from the problem of the frequency display on the CRE8900 not matching the actual frequency, but I thought it might be useful to post this, as it offers a solution, should I not be alone.

I had noticed that when using SSB on this radio I always had to use the clarifier to adjust the apparent frequency down by 500Hz. For example, say I was on 27.55500 I would use the clarifier to adjust the frequency to show 27.55450. At that setting, both transmit and receive would actually be 27.555. This, as you can imagine, was a bit of a pain especially when QSYing to other frequencies.

I searched online for an answer, assuming it to be a programming issue, but came up blank, however I searched.

I then did what I should have done in the first place and contacted Radiozing, where I got the radio from and after contacting CRE they came up with the following solution.

First of all set the radio to the mode where the discrepancy shows (in my case USB). After allowing the radio to warm up for 20 minutes or so, turn the radio off, then turn it back on while holding the func button down then pressing the RB-NB-DW buttons one at a time in that order and in quick succession.

The display should show bf xxx (xxx being a 3 digit number). MAKE A NOTE OF THIS NUMBER - for future reference, in case you need to adjust it back, and remember, there will probably be a different number for each mode usb/lsb/etc so note each one down.

3. To adjust the internal frequency of the radio for the mode you have selected (for example USB), you need to adjust the 3 digit number. If your radio is low ie showing 27.55480 when it is actually on the frequency of 27.55500, then you need to adjust the 3 digit number down. The clarifier moves the last digit and the channel change moves the middle digit.
(The 3 digit number only adjusts as low as 130)

4. After adjusting the bfxxx number, you have to power the radio off and back on again to actually tx/rx again, as you hear nothing when adjusting in the 'frequency alignment' menu. After switching the radio off and back on again, test the frequency by keying up and observing the external frequency counter, or by a friend listening to you transmit. You may have to repeat these steps a few times until your radio is exactly on frequency. In my case, as I was 500Hz out, and the bf number was 251 I assumed that I would have to adjust it to read 201. That brought it close, but I have now tweeked it another 5 and it is now showing 196 and appears to be much closer to being spot on but I will continue to assess it with more stations. Obviously a frequency counter would be the best way to go, but I don't have one of those!

5. You will need to repeat this for each mode, ie switch to LSB and repeat the process from step 1.

I doubt very much whether the actual numbers on any other radio will be the same as mine, so please make a note of your your own numbers and adjust accordingly.

Well that's it, and I hope it may help someone else and I would like to thank Simon at Radiozing for his assistance with this.
Malcolm
Monty009
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 153TM001

Re: CRE 8900 frequency correction

Post by Monty009 »

I have the same rig from the same supplier, with the same glitch. So thanks for that
Malcom ;) . I will give it a go .I have a Dosy FC50 counter so should be a doddle.
However on D band, which is programed to Hi band ,on my rig, Ch-18 for some unknown reason is showing 30.000Mhz
on the frequency display. I will try re-programming,and hope that sorts it . This is my mobile rig ,so it
is installed in the pickup truck. I live in a hot climate and when the truck is parked up .It can get very warm
in the cab. As far as I know, the board has mostly surface mounted components.
The heat may have melted something internally. :shock: Guess I will find out soon enough.
KENWOOD TS2000. YAESU FT857D, SS3900EFT, CRE8900, HY GAIN V, PRESIDENT GEORGE.
BAOFENG UV-5RC , PRESIDENT JACKSON MK1. STALKER ST-9F DX. 153-TM-001
[email protected]
VintageTin

Post by VintageTin »

I assume you have the programming lead too, as you really do need that for your Ch18 problem. The display should match the information that shows in the software display.

The method I described for the other problem really is a doddle.

Good luck
Malcolm
Monty009
Regular
Regular

Post by Monty009 »

Indeed I have the supplied cable. Thx for the info Malcom.
[email protected]
Monty009
Regular
Regular

Post by Monty009 »

Followed you instructions MAL, the radio is now bang on.
I re-programmed Hi- band everything good.
[email protected]
VintageTin

Post by VintageTin »

Excellent!
Malcolm
Gaz W

Post by Gaz W »

Anyone know what the other menus do after the "bf" function?

If you press func when in the hidden menus it displays more menus "fr" with 0 in the channel display, "fr" with number 4 in display , fr with number 5, fr and 9 ,"aon with u in display and "aof"
26-TM-652
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

i think you may find one is AM other is FM the USB and LSB, check the anytone page of facebook or the highfields site..
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

ess and hold "FUNC" while powering on the radio; then press "RB" once, then press "AN/ANL" once, then press "DW" once, the radio enters adjustment mode when the LCD displays BFXXX, (where XXX is the numeric setting value) and you must make adjustments to the frequency in each mode, one by one:

A. Switch to CW mode. Adjust the CLARIFIER until the frequency counter shows 10.6950 MHz.

B. Switch to FM mode. Adjust the CLARIFIER until the frequency counter shows 10.6950 MHz.

C. Switch to USB mode. Adjust the CLARIFIER until the frequency counter shows 10.6925 MHz.

D. Switch to LSB mode. Adjust the CLARIFIER until the frequency counter shows 10.6975 MHz.

Shut off radio to save data and exit frequency calibration mode.

This is what it should be set to. But, because of circuit loading during measurment, even with isolated counter lead, I found the final transmitted frequency about 40hz low.

What I did to solve this was transmit durring adjustment mode and use a counter on the RF out to set AM/FM mode exact. USB and LSB modes I zero beated it with my TS-2000 which was in alignment. That solved all the issues with being off frequency.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

It should be spot on when new, send it back and ask for another one...

If you bugger it up messing with the settings they won't want to know.

My one was spot on from what I could tell.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
Gaz W

Post by Gaz W »

Its the menus after the "bf" that I meant Mark , not the letters in the channel selection window
26-TM-652
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

if i remember right you put it on to BF and as you change mode the BF numbers change to suit the mode your on.
so using the zero beat theory which works great if you have a HF radio you can get it on USB and LSB pretty quick, AM and FM just use an external counter.

if i'm right when in BF setting it's on 27.860 i think..
PoisoN
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by PoisoN »

I start at 27.554.90 when running the radio from cold, like with all radios they need a warm up. Ends up where it should be when warm.
26-TM-266
Handle PoisoN
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

bigpimp347 wrote:ess and hold "FUNC" while powering on the radio; then press "RB" once, then press "AN/ANL" once, then press "DW" once, the radio enters adjustment mode when the LCD displays BFXXX, (where XXX is the numeric setting value) and you must make adjustments to the frequency in each mode, one by one:

A. Switch to CW mode. Adjust the CLARIFIER until the frequency counter shows 10.6950 MHz.

B. Switch to FM mode. Adjust the CLARIFIER until the frequency counter shows 10.6950 MHz.

C. Switch to USB mode. Adjust the CLARIFIER until the frequency counter shows 10.6925 MHz.

D. Switch to LSB mode. Adjust the CLARIFIER until the frequency counter shows 10.6975 MHz.

Shut off radio to save data and exit frequency calibration mode.
My Alinco 135 was a little off and I used this method. I tuned SSB to my 706 and everyone now says the Alinco is bang on frequency.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
B5566

Post by B5566 »

That how it is when the one buys modern chinese pile of crap.... lol!
Resistance is futile.