Ham International Multimode II Mods ?

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
Ashtec
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: M6LTD

Re: Ham International Multimode II Mods ?

Post by Ashtec »

Ashtec, i don't do cash..!!
you know what you have and what i want, lincoln and nato 2000 for starters..!!
but your becoming hard work again.... :lol: so i have three, one is as near to great as it can be, with handles and un modded (been touched not modded)[/quote]

;) Oh i didn't know you was after lincoln :lol: :lol: :lol: I will have a think mate that lincoln is pissing me off looking at it i was thinking of offing that on the bay PM you late when i've had a think on it ;)
Mitch
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M1TCH

Post by Mitch »

Ashtec wrote:I will give it ago when i can be arsed to pull my MM2 out or if one get's sent over to me to be looked at!!!
I really do hate the Squelch pop on these's and Jumbo's with the 059cox in them but then saying that i hate the sound of FM hash full stop i've been fitting noise squelch unit's in to a lot of radio's to do away with the FM hash sound so i only get the voice's.
Its a lot more pleasing to my ears any way :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've never really had a problem with the MK 3 cybernet radio's for popping as bad as the 059's....... Cybernet must of had a few complaints from the UK and improved the Squelch squelch circuit ;)
I'm an FM 'hash hater' myself, lol, I plan to fit a noise squelch to some of my radios in the near future. This mod can be adapted to the '121' chassis (Hygain 5/Tristar 747 etc. but I don't have one else I'd post that too) and works just as well, very pleasing to the old lug'oles, it can be worked out from the diagram. I did try it on a '125' chassis but it doesn't work well on them (or later), presumably because of the different audio chip but the pop's nowhere near as bad on later boards anyway.
bigpimp347 wrote:
well looking at the top link it looks like it goes to ground already ;)

or the red line is hiding where it goes, and it's already in place..
so not being stupid, you have already added that link (why didn't you say so) :)

as for playing with them, well i may as well, i've got plenty to play with if they break it's more spares for me..!!
Sorry for the confusion, yes, I already did the mod before taking the pics. If you want to play then don't let me stop you, any mods done are entirely at your own risk of course, but they are your rigs to do with as you please after all :lol:

I have attached another pic from a different angle and without edits, hopefully the link is clearer in this one (it's the link at the bottom of the pic)...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The perfect face for radio.
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

Wow top man Mitch i was testing a few conversions on my own Ham International Multimode II tonight and i thought i would give your mod a go and so i did and wow what an improvement there's no poping squelch at all!!!!!!
The squelch is now like that of a uniden based radio ive been after a mod like this for some time as this is the biggest pet hate i have with the 059cox's on FM.

Any one with a Ham International Multimode II or a MK1 Jumbo do this mod im not bull shiting you it dose work and works well.

Thanks Again Mitch :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

yup also tried it and bugger me, why has it took 30 years for this to appear..!!
now i'm going to spend the next few hours removing lids, parts and linking tracks..

damn you mitch..!!
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

Yep ive got to say im well impressed with the mod ive had the MM2 on all night wigging on FM and the rig hasnt pissed me off yet Poping :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
darkone
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by darkone »

bigpimp347 wrote:yup also tried it and bugger me, why has it took 30 years for this to appear..!!
Somebody mentioned it a while ago (2008) in the ham international yahoo group.

"Get your local Tech to rework the squelch intercept point.
My Jumbo has no pop/thud on TX switchover or squelch transistion."
"Far from idleness being the root of all evil, it is rather the only true good."
Soren Kierkegaard - Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

darkone wrote:
bigpimp347 wrote:yup also tried it and bugger me, why has it took 30 years for this to appear..!!
Somebody mentioned it a while ago (2008) in the ham international yahoo group.

"Get your local Tech to rework the squelch intercept point.
My Jumbo has no pop/thud on TX switchover or squelch transistion."
Well mine hasn't now well happy with this squelch mod and having fitted an auto noise squelch.
CaptainKirk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: KIRKY

Post by CaptainKirk »

i dont know if its been shown how to be done on here before how do it turn the bleep off so you cannot hear it, the way i did it you can still hear a muted bleep! :?
CAPTAIN KIRK-26TM013/26CT013/26UK013 John mobile South Cheshire.
163TM847
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 163TM847 »

CaptainKirk wrote:i dont know if its been shown how to be done on here before how do it turn the bleep off so you cannot hear it, the way i did it you can still hear a muted bleep! :?
Thats because you most probably just clipped [or switched] the LF OUT wire.

To knock it off properly simply clip the wire on the pole marked [3] and attach the wire to pole [5] REL, This then bypasses the TX input to the beep directly to the relay.

Or if you want to switch it.

Clip wire off pole [3] and connect to the centre pin of a switch

Run a wire from top pin of switch back to pole [3] (this will be the beep on)

Run a wire from the bottom pin of the switch to pole [5] REL
cubwolf
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M3CBY

Post by cubwolf »

Or if your switch only has 2 pins on you can feed 12 volts through a 10k resistor to pin 2 of the 4011 ic.

If you ground that pin you have a lovely tone burst :twisted:
CaptainKirk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: KIRKY

Post by CaptainKirk »

thanks for the help chaps I will have a go :D
CAPTAIN KIRK-26TM013/26CT013/26UK013 John mobile South Cheshire.
mikebravokilo
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: MM0MBK

Post by mikebravokilo »

hello gents, after reading the posts on this thread i have realised there are some very clever boffins on here when it comes to cybernet boards, MM2'S, JUMBO'S etc :ugeek:

i have a MK2 jumbo i inherited and it powers up but sounds like its stuck on one freq regardless of what channel number you select, the only time it changes tone is when you move the band switch.
i was told it may be the pll?? but due to the fact i dont practice voodoo or any other form of black magic i am looking for someone that has the abillity to sort it out.

i dont have loads of cash but i do have a few ex pmr radio's and an old nato 2000 that needs work and tlc that i could offer as payment for services renderd,

if there are any interested magicians or witch doctors out there willing to help please PM me. :P

cheers guys........
PAPA THERMADYNE LIVES.........
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

Just an ADD on to the 059 squelch mod of Mitch's i was impressed with his mod at first but over time its started to **** me off hearing the very slight hiss from Ham Jumbo's as the audio amp is kept live.
Also having Been doing a few repairs to other radio operator's Jumbo's and ive found you get a funny sound from the radio's doing some think like 10 watts.

So i have found that a 16V 10uf cap across the emitter & collector of Q34 Squelch transistor sorts the popping and banging out and you don't get funny sounds on Hi power Jumbos and there'S no hissing when the squelch is closed i would also think this would work on the PTBM121D4X but you would need to place the cap across the emitter & collector of Q33 squelch transistor.

These pic's ive up loaded are for the 059COX SQ mod....................

[CENTER]Image
Image[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
Image[/CENTER]
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Just done this mod on my major 360. Makes a big difference :)

By the way, In your bottom pic the capacitors negative lead is wired to Q34's base. :o
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

You can do it the way you have but i found it still has a very slight thud to the squelch opening and closing.

Here how my own Jumbo is done no thud at all........

[CENTER]Image
Image[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
Image[/CENTER]
Last edited by Ashtec on 09 May 2013, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.