2SB525 Transistors

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Re: 2SB525 Transistors

Post by The Collector »

They came today, so I might try and find time tomorrow after work to have a go at swapping them over.

God help me.

Just need to get my trusty soldering iron out again! ;)
UGLY_BOB
Legend
Legend

Post by UGLY_BOB »

I see you prefer the 25amp igniter. ;)
EXTREMELY WEIRD... AVOID AT ALL COSTS !

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

If that's what it says on the specs then that's the one (I can't read the writing as it's all blurred as my screen's FUBAR'd lol).

I've just cleaned up my 30-odd year old soldering iron to give back to my dad (who gave it to me when I was about 12 and had just got into CB's) as I got another one identical at a car boot for a quid last year... and I've got a new one and a stand I bought from Lidl's too somewhere but I can't find it :?
listner132
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by listner132 »

Did they replacements work ?
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

No :lol:

I did them before I went to work on Sunday morning, but got exactly the same thing from fitting 2 new ones, so I'm not sure what to do next apart from sell it as it is. I might put some pics up of where I've soldered them, and see if someone can tell me if I've managed to solder them to a bit that they shouldn't be soldered to when I had a go at the original transistors. The noise does sound like a feedback-ish noise, but even when I hadn't messed with the 525's it still had no audio through the speaker and no RX.

Faults are:

No normal audio through the speaker (as if no microphone is plugged into a Cybernet based radio) so even on full volume there is just a slight hiss in the background.

No incoming RX.

No TX apart from a wailing noise which changes on all modes, so AM has a scratchy noise, USB wails like a 4 minute warning :? , and LSB has a more muffled noise

There is a signal coming from it as my handheld picks it up along with the noises. I'd put a video on youtube or something but I'm crap at stuff like that! :lol: I've put it all back together properly now. LED cover is glued in, the front plate is now glued onto the surround/bezel and the knobs are back on. It looks good, but it's the equivalent of having a nice new Golf GTi with a dodgy 1.3 engine in it firing on only 2 cylinders!

Luckily, I didn't spend a fortune on 525's, and just got the cheapy ones instead.

I'll stick to soldering PL plugs! ;)
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

A couple of pics of the 525's I took out and the newly soldered joints, not sure if I've shorted something out :? :
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Poor little Cobra, she's now scheduled to go on ebay in a couple of days time :( Bless her little cotton socks.
koberk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by koberk »

Never mind, at least you didn't 'butcher' the circuit board by lifting tracks etc.
Hopefully the next owner may be able to fix the rig, sounds like a couple of faults there...
Nice rig to DX on, I'd reckon.
163TM847
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 163TM847 »

When a mic is plugged in are you getting a green RX light [a mic has to be in for receive as well as RX audio], And when you TX are you getting the Red TX light or a funny colour.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Sorry Nick, been offline for a few days :P

I've been busy buying a few bits and bobs on ebay as I've decided to build a custom box panel to stick a subwoofer and amp in to annoy the wife ;)

With reagrds to the 146, I tried a few things back when I first got the radio with your help and advice but to no avail when plugging in the mike from my 148. I've simply given up as I have no patience, and I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to radio's guts :lol: At least I'm honest when I say that and I dont pretend to know what a PC503u7y7893 board is :?

I only bought it to play with and see what I could do with it's front panel, which I've done, so most of what I wanted to do has been acheived. I haven't got the time and know-how to sit down with testers and sort it out so it's currently on ebay with a bidder and quite a few watchers, and people enquiring on here about it.

Thanks to everyone for their help in trying to sort it though, it's much appreciated, but I'll leave it now to people that are better equipped and know more than I do about the insides of a radio.... which is pretty much everyone! :lol:
timbob58
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26tm957

Post by timbob58 »

well how did you get on
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"
timbob58
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by timbob58 »

timbob58 wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 11:32 well how did you get on oop's not on the right page sorry
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I sold it 6 years ago ;)

The Rig Pic's website put a picture of my black 146 on their website at the time, thinking it was an original Cobra radio. I had to email them and tell them it was spray paint and rub-off lettering.
timbob58
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by timbob58 »

:oops: :oops:
The Collector wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 18:43 I sold it 6 years ago ;)

The Rig Pic's website put a picture of my black 146 on their website at the time, thinking it was an original Cobra radio. I had to email them and tell them it was spray paint and rub-off lettering.
:oops: :oops: