Chip switch for Lincolns

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Re: Chip switch for Lincolns

Post by cb4ever104 »

Maybe someone's got a scrapper with a working CPU board ?

Although that's why they generally get scrapped in the first place :)
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

Had a look on the Oz eBay and NSW Gumtree sites for a Lincoln, nothing there, not even in the sold or completed listings.
There were a few for the second version but those look like an extended version of the very average Bearcat 980 SSB 40 channel radio.

Better luck with the HR2510, a few of those in the sold listings but nothing current - are those the same as the Lincoln though or are there small differences? There is also a Uniden 2830 that looks the same, but it would need to be identical electrically for the same chip upgrade to work in both.

But first we would need is a clear schematic. No need for service / alignment info, just the circuit diagram will do. If there are things like PLL functionality or an LCD driver built into the original micro it will complicate things a bit nothing that can't be worked around.

I'll keep an eye on the local sales sites, but this will be a long term "spare time" project that could take months. Then work out what can be added, things like extended coverage, 99 memories, scanning / searching, and USB connectivity for programming memories / downloading scan results. As long as nobody's in a hurry...
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

lbcomms wrote: 24 Jan 2019, 11:17 But first we would need is a clear schematic. No need for service / alignment info, just the circuit diagram will do. If there are things like PLL functionality or an LCD driver built into the original micro it will complicate things a bit nothing that can't be worked around.
Lot's of info here Sue .

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/uniden/hr_2510/

I'm pretty sure the 2510 , 2830 , and Lincoln are the same radio . Although I'm sure someone on here will correct me if I'm wrong .

Sammy
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

If it helps..years ago i had a Chipswitch in a HR2510 & i transplanted it along with the PLL unit in to a mint Lincoln i had & it worked perfectly fine.

I think the HR2510 is just the U.S.A badged name where as we had the Lincoln over here in Europe,no difference between the x2 radios as far as i am aware.
KlondikeMike
Call Sign: 9WR2000

Post by KlondikeMike »

cb4ever104 wrote: 24 Jan 2019, 13:44... I'm pretty sure the 2510 , 2830 , and Lincoln are the same radio . Although I'm sure someone on here will correct me if I'm wrong . Sammy
I'm working on some 2510's and a Lincoln right now. The Lincoln has a slightly different CPU chip but the PLL board is interchangeable between the two. I could loan a PLL board for the cause (maybe even a whole working radio if required). There would also be considerable interest from the USA on this. See link below for schematic;

http://www.upl.co/uploads/HR2510-schema ... 48222.jpeg
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

A quick look at the schematic suggests it's doable, the PLL and LCD drivers are in external ICs which means only 1 IC needed on the daughterboard.

How "slightly different" are the CPU chips - just a different part number or is it something more major like the pinout? Going by the previous reply, they are pin compatible but is that only in some variants / production runs?
KlondikeMike
Call Sign: 9WR2000

Post by KlondikeMike »

lbcomms wrote: 24 Jan 2019, 19:33... How "slightly different" are the CPU chips - just a different part number or is it something more major like the pinout? Going by the previous reply, they are pin compatible but is that only in some variants / production runs?
Pin compatible between 2510 (Uniden UC-1250) and Lincoln (Uniden UC-1201a). Someone else would need to confirm for the 2830. I do not have any additional information to confirm/deny if there were any other versions during production.

lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

Thanks for that.

One minor hiccup, don't have a datasheet for the LCD driver IC (IC502, Sharp LH5008TP) and nothing obvious turned up on a quick Google search. Would need that info to create the display drive functionality - if anyone had info on it like the manufacturers datasheet (need info on the registers and data format) let us know...
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

cb4ever104 wrote: 24 Jan 2019, 13:44
lbcomms wrote: 24 Jan 2019, 11:17 But first we would need is a clear schematic. No need for service / alignment info, just the circuit diagram will do. If there are things like PLL functionality or an LCD driver built into the original micro it will complicate things a bit nothing that can't be worked around.
Lot's of info here Sue .

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/uniden/hr_2510/

I'm pretty sure the 2510 , 2830 , and Lincoln are the same radio . Although I'm sure someone on here will correct me if I'm wrong .

Sammy
Hello Sammy

The front are different

PC PB-111

@+
Claude
Photo Collector CB RADIO
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

14CS06 wrote: 25 Jan 2019, 13:21 The front are different
Hi Claude . Thanks for that . My mistake . I didn't mean physically . I was referring more to the CPU board .

Salut

Paul
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

KlondikeMike wrote: 24 Jan 2019, 23:57 Someone else would need to confirm for the 2830.

I can confirm for the 2830 :)

Hitachi HD4074008S or is it a UC-1170 as that is what the sticker has printed on it.

Hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steepeljack69
Call Sign: 26SF333

Post by steepeljack69 »

Anyone any closer to sorting a chip switch out to go in the 2830?
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

lbcomms wrote: 25 Jan 2019, 12:30 One minor hiccup, don't have a datasheet for the LCD driver IC (IC502, Sharp LH5008TP) and nothing obvious turned up on a quick Google search. Would need that info to create the display drive functionality - if anyone had info on it like the manufacturers datasheet (need info on the registers and data format) let us know...
I haven't found it either yet Sue . I translated this from German .

https://www.makerconnect.de/index.php?t ... 08-tp.229/

Don't know if it's of any help . I'll maybe sent Tim (Otter) a PM , as he's worked on these radios .
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

lbcomms wrote: 25 Jan 2019, 12:30One minor hiccup, don't have a datasheet for the LCD driver IC (IC502, Sharp LH5008TP)
The same chip like uPD7225.
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

Thanks for the alternate / compatible LCD chip part number, I'll have a look at how close they are to the 2510 circuit.

Before we can do too much though, need to get hold of an operational radio. Been scouring the Oz ebay and Gumtree sites, nothing has shown up yet but it's just a matter of time until one does. Preferably one that works but is in poor cosmetic condition and hopefully not going for silly money.

Once we've got that it's a step by step process. First thing to do is map which LCD segment goes with each bit of the control data and throw a small lib together to write relevant data (such as a frequency) to the LCD. Then work out the other outputs (tx/rx control, PLL, muting) , map the inputs (front panel controls, PTT, lock monitor) and design a PCB. Once that's done, its just a matter of writing the firmware and hoping there are no PCB design errors such a missing input lines.

As a spare time job, all that lot's not going to happen within a few weeks. A couple or three months after we get a radio as a minimum, could be a lot longer than that depending on workload...