Wire Antenna

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
Gary
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 108TM005

Wire Antenna

Post by Gary »

Hi there,

Can anyone help me out i have just got AH-4 Icom Automatic ATU but did not get the earth cable or a copper wire antenna for it. Would anyone have a link that i can have a look at. Or even how i can build my own wire antenna. If anyone has a Icom AH-4 can they also tell me what would be the best direction to have the wire towards. Many Thanks
normal
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Wire Antenna

Post by normal »

I assume you have got some other HF equipment beside CB? Done an incredibly easy weekend course to get a foundation license?
I'm guessing you have got an Icom HF radio as the AH-4 is specifically designed for ICOM radio's.
AH-4 info. Not sure if it's usable with a different sort of radio without an extra control box? Gets a "start tuning" signal from then radio then it sends a "please provide a 10watt carrier" signal back to the radio, apparently.

I have a half size G5RV strung up with the wire running roughly north-south. It went up last bank holiday weekend as a temporary measure, it will probably be up for the summer now. It was about £18 from an antenna stall at a rally. It dosn't have lockwashers so the nuts come loose. It was quick,easy and cheap. I havn't got the energy for anything more extensive at the moment.

It works best off the sides so I have heard a few radio hams on the east coast of the USA on twenty meters.
I'm in the south east of the UK, I heard Terry 26RCB044 calling on the triple five from a long way to the east of here, I think he's on the east coast somewhere around Essex.

Have a look at a map

From Glasgow, chances are something like a g5rv running northeast/southwest would probably be usable for HF contacts into the more civilized bit of Scotland south of you, England and mainland Europe but not so good for across the pond.

There are plenty of ideas for wire antennas in magazines, books and via google

To get started just get a roll of wire, sling it up and see what you can hear. You can get an earth stake from a electrical factor or just use another length of wire an an antenna element instead of an earth.
Gary
Regular
Regular

Post by Gary »

I radio i am is working the Icom 706 Mk11G along with the ICOM AH-4 auto tuner for the radio from home. I would like to build a wire antenna myself and i think it would need to be a 40 feet long copper cable would this be correct. Would you know if that is the correct length.

I would be happy to hear from anyone that is working the same conditions and maybe provide some images to me for the best way to work from home along with mobile conditions. Thank You Again
FoulOleRon

Post by FoulOleRon »

Gary
Regular
Regular

Post by Gary »

Thank you, i will have a look into this link.
Gary
Regular
Regular

Post by Gary »

Can anyone tell me i am working with a Icom - 706MK11G and also along with the Icom AH-4 Automatic Antenna Tuner this did not come with the antenna and earth cable so cant work at the moment. Would there be any members that also work with these conditions that can post a example how they have the top for antenna element and earth.

Would this only be a single cable at the top of the box as i can't figure out how to place the antenna on this. I have seen on the Instruction Manual for Radio and Tuner that i can work both these but can't figure out how to place the pl plug on to the Tuner and Antenna.

Many Thanks
FoulOleRon

Post by FoulOleRon »

When I was using my IC726 and AT-160 ATU I was using a 50' long wire as the main element and earthing the... err... earth. These were connected to an SO239 and fed with RG58 with a choke wound at the antenna end. That worked quite well, but not brilliantly (it did OK on 80 and 40M, but wouldn't tune on 20 at all).
Gary
Regular
Regular

Post by Gary »

I will look more into this.

Thank You.
DummyLoad
Call Sign: G1COW

Post by DummyLoad »

Ok, you basically need 4 connections:-

1. Coax connection from 706MK11G antenna socket to AH4 input socket

2. Control cable between radio and tuner

3. Ground connection for tuner.....this could be a copper ground rod obtainable from B&Q etc. or a ground mat of wires under the lawn or several other configurations, plenty of info on the net about RF grounds. The connection from the ground rod, mat or whatever to the tuner should be made with as thick a wire as you can manage and be as short as possible.

4. A random length of wire as the antenna, the longer the better but 7 metres minimum. The longer the antenna wire and the better the RF ground connection, the more effective your system will be.

Hope this helps :)
Ross, Berkshire UK, IO91LJ
MuddyFox
Banned
Banned

Post by MuddyFox »

normal wrote:I assume you have got some other HF equipment beside CB? Done an incredibly easy weekend course to get a foundation license?.
You didn't answer Normal...
Have you took your foundation licence cabbie?
jazzsinger
Banned
Banned

Post by jazzsinger »

MuddyFox wrote:
normal wrote:I assume you have got some other HF equipment beside CB? Done an incredibly easy weekend course to get a foundation license?.

Does it matter :?: :?:

I believe ofcom are still responsible for asking questions like that.

Did you always operate 100% legally,I think not and probably still don't like most foundation Amateurs.

I'll need to sit a foundation test,it seems to bring on amnesia of the past,admonish all previous sins,make you an authority on all things radio,de muppetise :geek: and turn you into a radio policeman all at the same time.all that from a multiple choice a 6 year old could pass,fascinating :!: :!: :!: :lol: :lol:
Banned Account
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

HMMmmmm?

I wonder why Cabbie has never bothered Posting since this thread?

Could it be the the elitist attitude born out in at least 2 postings here.
Done an incredibly easy weekend course to get a foundation license?
Where is the need for this kind of insolent childish statement? Someone looking for help, looking for those who may know more to help, not to TAX the question with the obvious "well if i'm going to help you i get to have a dig at you while i'm at it"

To be further pressured later in the thread
What on earth has this got to do with the persons question? it's more like a " if you ar not in the club we may not or we will decide on your answer whether we help you or not".

No wonder people don't come here for help, there are so many complete self important nit wits on here it a wonder anything gets answered.

My suggestion is if you can't actually help dont reply, think of another way to increase your post count maybe in the members lounge!
Can't help but love an Adams.

Overdrive

Post by Overdrive »

Last two posts just about sum it up......

Anyway, Cabbie, if you do read this, pm me...I use a 7400/AH4/132' doublet antenna...may be able to help you get sorted.
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

:D I just read though these threads but I was not quick enough to give a reply the 706 is very similar to my 703 (almost the same transceiver but not qrp and greater coverage)the 703 has an internal tuner but I dont believe it can be as good as the AH4 that you have there cabbie a random wire and a good earth wire as counterpoise should be just fine if you need a good earth system for your tuner i would recomend stripping down an old piece of cooker flex as the wires in it are heavy duty then use this to connect to an earth stake driven into the ground which will cost you about £11 from a certain well known diy company(keep the earth cable run as short as possible)make the random wire as long as possible and then tie it off somewhere high like a tree using nylon rope as an insulator..the wire itself could be virtually any type of wire even old speaker wire would do.... :lol: above all have fun ...wish I had that set up and a large garden sigh
simon26OD004
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by simon26OD004 »

/me attempts to be a mediator here :)

I can see both sides here, yes, If somebody is operating a 706 then you would expect them to be licenced and have the knowledge to not need to be asking these questions, but I used an HF set on 11 for years before I got licenced, so I wouldn't like to judge.

The reason I am here is to read others posts that I find interesting, to offer advice where I can, and to seek advice where I can from the many knowledgeable peolple that use this forum. I may be wrong but I thought that was what this forum was for, to share infomation and generally enjoy ourselves while having a common intrest, which I guess would be, erm, radio?

So to answer the initial question from Cabbie,

The AH-4 is a tuner designed to work with a random length wire antenna, as people have said previously, best results will be obtained by using the longest piece of wire you have available for the antenna element, 7M long would be a good minimum to start with, but really the longer the better.

For the earth conection you want to use the heavyest guage wire you can, a copper earth strap would be great, or flatten out the braid from some good quality coax would work too, RG-213 or similar would be good. For the earth connection the cable should be less than a 1/4 wavelength at the highest frequency you want to operate at, so only 2.5M long if you want to use the 10M band. This should be connected to a good earth system, the better the earth system the better performance you will get. A really good earth system would be a chicken wire mesh buried a couple of inche below the ground, and covering the maximum ammount of area the better, with multiple earth rods all connected to the earthing mat. Google is really your friend if you want to learn more about earthing systems.

I hope this helps.
Oscar Delta 26 Division Coordinator
http://www.oscardelta.org/ ---------------------------------- http://uk.oscardelta.org/
FREE LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP