Baofeng birdies

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Baofeng birdies

Post by grafter »

I've been asked to supply a cheap handheld radio to an NCI member so he can monitor marine band at home, now the obvious choice would be a Baofeng but my BF-F8 suffers a nasty birdie on 156.0, channel 0 from the reference oscillator on 26.0MHz. This seems to be a common frequency amonst the UV5, F8 and UV82 range but are there other models that don't use 26.0MHz?

The next option is the more expensive Wouxun unless there's another cheapie brand I don't know about?
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Baofeng birdies

Post by thelad »

Turn the sky off then try.
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

?
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thelad »

My sky box/wifi 240v transformer gives all my gear "Birdies" on 156.00, turned the power off and sorts it! Power back on and its back. Not had a try with a external antenna like, that may sort it.
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

Ah yes, that's a problem with the SR-102 router, a real pain for a lot of the volunteers I know especially where they use Channel 0 pagers. This one is internally generated by the Baofeng and there's a few reports of other models having the same issue. Use an external aerial and it's not a problem but the interested party wants to use it around the house so that's a non starter.
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

A lucky development, I was asked yesterday to open up the coverage of a Baofeng GT-3TP because it would appear the default range is 141-155MHz for some peculiar reason. Having eventually got Chirp to work using my BF-F8+ cable I've found that the GT3 is clear of internal birdies on 156.0 even when using the short flexi that it shipped with. I say eventually because like others have reported the plug needs either pushing in hard or some of the front casing sliced off before the data connection is made.

With regard to the problem concerning Sky routers, it is possible to get around it on a fixed receiever by using an SDR, even a cheap RTL dongle. The carrier the router radiates is very narrow and stable enough that an 80Hz wide notch placed over it will clear the channel without affecting any voice traffic and allows normal action of the squelch. SDR Sharp with appropriate plugins does a good job and on one installation I set four notches to remove carriers without it affecting reception of the CG and RNLI.
DistantSignal

Post by DistantSignal »

My virgin box gives noise on 446.0000