HV AC/DC multimeter

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
qrz45
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26KR102

HV AC/DC multimeter

Post by qrz45 »

Hello folks. I am looking for a test meter that can measure HV in both AC and DC scales. It must be able to measure at least 2kV AC and 4kV DC.

For testing a homebrew HT psu.

I am not necessarily looking for a meter that is for sale (unless you have one lying around that you dont use), but rather just would like to know which make and model is useful for measuring these types of voltages. Nothing fancy or top of the range but something that will help me do the job.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards

Lee
qrz45
Regular
Regular

Re: HV AC/DC multimeter

Post by qrz45 »

Finally sorted. Fluke 80K-40 HV probe or similar sorts this dilemma out. With in built voltage divider. However I have found out that it's necessary to measure the input resistance of the test meter in order to get the correct multiplication values . This is done with a secondary meter. Thanks to youtube.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

HV scope probe. Safe and precise.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
qrz45
Regular
Regular

Post by qrz45 »

Thanks for your comment. I have just purchased the Fluke 80K-40 HV probe which should meet my requirements. I need to measure voltages between the secondary and doubler circuit of a HT power supply for starters. Followed by the HVDC supply voltages that need to be measured within a homebrew "tube" amplifier.

Regards

Lee
qrz45
Regular
Regular

Post by qrz45 »

Nobody has tried to sell me a flat head screwdriver or even a home made president adams bracket yet!