**** Stolen Yaesu FT-817ND ****

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

**** Stolen Yaesu FT-817ND ****

Post by Auldgeek »

Hello all,

I very recently sold a Yaesu FT-817ND portable transceiver to an amateur in Callington, Cornwall.
Unfortunately, the package containing the radio and accessories were stolen from within the grounds of the buyers property before he could take delivery. The approximate date and time of the theft was Wednesday 18th July between 12:25 and 16:30

The radio is in mint condition, has its original box and all accessories from new. It also comes with a carrying case, an adjustable flip base stand and a couple of power leads. Inside the packing box, there would have been a delivery note and packing slip with my name along with both postal and email addresses. These details could possibly be used when attempting to sell it on.

The serial number of the radio is 5K570133

If you are offered such a radio, or know of anyone who has, please either send me a private message through TM1 or email me at [email protected]

Thanks for reading this.

Drew
Last edited by Auldgeek on 28 Jul 2018, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Re: **** Stolen Yaesu FT-817ND ****

Post by Tim »

You should, if not done already, widen your appeal by contacting Radio Cornwall on 01872 275421 and they will put it out over the air. When you reported it to the Police, did they give you a 'crime number?', if they did then it may be covered under your household insurance. Hope you find it.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

Tim wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 08:24 You should, if not done already, widen your appeal by contacting Radio Cornwall on 01872 275421 and they will put it out over the air. When you reported it to the Police, did they give you a 'crime number?', if they did then it may be covered under your household insurance. Hope you find it.
Just waiting on the crime number. I had thought about my home insurance but not sure I would be covered as my personal items away from the home are listed, of which this wasn't one of them.

Thanks for the tip about Radio Cornwall. :thumbup: I've only been able to publicly notify folk today due to the time it has taken to formally confirm the theft. I've posted on a couple of FB groups and will ring round the dealers to let them know.
Auldgeek - Drew

sickboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by sickboy »

That sounds like a nightmare Drew. In cases like that are the courier company not responsable?
Embrace your inner muppet !
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

sickboy wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 10:31 That sounds like a nightmare Drew. In cases like that are the courier company not responsable?
You would think so. The radio was sent tracked and signature required. Im hoping there's some recompense from the courier company but unknown at this point. I'll still be considerably out of pocket though.
Auldgeek - Drew

Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Tim »

Weather it's covered by your household insurance or not depends on a vital bit of wording on your policy schedule, If you have wording on your policy to the effect of 'any items kept in the dwelling house' but saying that I don't know if that would cover anything that you sell and send off by post or courier, problem with couriers is that they take no responsibility for items they carry. You may however have recourse with the courier if the delivery driver did not deliver it to the correct address or did not gain a signature from the recipient, this you should be able to establish by contacting the courier Company and quoting the tracking number.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Take the courier to the small claims court, The radio was nicked due to their negligence.
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

Agreed. If they didn't obtain a signature from a person at the delivery address AND just left it outside they are negligent and also accountable for the loss. Assuming you took out insurance with the parcel/courier company then they should pay out, if they won't play ball, then like BM said file an application with small claim court.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Take note of the serial number and keep your eyes peeled troops, Drews a good guy and doesn't deserve to be ripped off.
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
sickboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by sickboy »

Might be an idea to go on ebay and gumtree, set your location to 100 mile proximity to where the yaesu went missing, and then set up a search (with notifications) for the keyword "yaesu".
Embrace your inner muppet !
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Tim »

Any website auction or selling platforms should have in their listing form that you fill in, a box where you enter the serial number of anything that carries one and should be able to be seen when you read the listing, that may deter scumbags disposing of dodgy items in this way.

Don't set your search distance to just 100 miles, set it Country wide and if you, or anyone else, sees an FT-817ND listed anywhere, ask the seller for the serial number and if you get no response give the host, eBay for example, a phone call and tell them your suspicion, they can then trace it.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Made this post a 'Sticky' so it's at the top of the forum :thumbup:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

MrWeetabix wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 09:10 Made this post a 'Sticky' so it's at the top of the forum :thumbup:
:thumbup:
Auldgeek - Drew

Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

sickboy wrote: 29 Jul 2018, 22:25 Might be an idea to go on ebay and gumtree, set your location to 100 mile proximity to where the yaesu went missing, and then set up a search (with notifications) for the keyword "yaesu".
I already have a Yaesu search anyway (and before Buick gets all excited, I have a Kenwood one too! :lol: )
So that should catch it. However, to be on the safe side, I've also added one specifically for the 817.

The dealers have been sent an email too, advising them of the serial number and I've posted on the two or three biggest FB groups.
I'll do what I can to at least make folk aware that they are buying stolen goods.
Auldgeek - Drew

Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

Tim wrote: 29 Jul 2018, 23:55 Any website auction or selling platforms should have in their listing form that you fill in, a box where you enter the serial number of anything that carries one and should be able to be seen when you read the listing, that may deter scumbags disposing of dodgy items in this way.

That's a good idea. You just don't know what you are buying these days.
I could I suppose, post a "For Sale" ad on ebay then tell everyone the radio has actually been nicked. I don't think eBay take too kindly to that though as I remember it being tried before and I'm sure I read that they cancelled the auction and the seller got a ticking off.
Auldgeek - Drew