Anytone AT5189 Low Power Output (HELP)

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
G8CVF
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G8CVF

Anytone AT5189 Low Power Output (HELP)

Post by G8CVF »

Hi thanks for dropping in.

Many moons ago I purchased a Anytone AT5189 TX (4m) but never used it up until now. I have just put a dummy load and Bird Thro line wattmeter on it and oh dear the result is/was very poor.

Hi power should be 25w but is only 10 watts
Low power should be 5w but is just 1.5 watts

I have done lots of search's on line to no avail wonder if you have any ideas. I am wondering if the power could be changed in the firmware via software and maybe the previous owner had set it himself to 10 watts ??

Thanks for your interest.

Peter G8CVF
Wirral
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: Anytone AT5189 Low Power Output (HELP)

Post by Admiral »

Welcome to the forum Peter.

An obvious reply would be that unless you have a zillion channels stored and not backed up, try a factory reset.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
radiogaga
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM399

Post by radiogaga »

Doesn’t it have 3 power settings, LOW, MIDDLE, HIGH? (Maybe my poor memory)

Got to be a programming issue, as if you aren’t seeing HIGH.

As Admiral says FR is a good place to start.
26TM399 Hampshire and Isle of Wight
30TM399 Northern Costa Blanca
G8CVF
Regular
Regular

Post by G8CVF »

Thank you Admiral and Radiogaga nice to have your thoughts.

Yes of course it does have 3 power settings as you say I didn't bother with the Middle and thought Hi and Lo would be a perfect test. Yes agree a FR would be a good idea however that was the first thing I did I even tried a Factory "Setting" as well as "restore" in desperation but to no avail.

Anybody want to buy a AT5189 ideal for the Novice license holder, only joking but it's a headache.

Thanks again for the thought fellas grateful.

Peter G8CVF
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Well it's not software then, so either firmware (doubtful) or hardware, faulty dummy-load, bad coax patch, dodgy soldering on plugs, wrong slug in Bird, swapped or faulty finals, de-tuned for a linear, etc.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
G8CVF
Regular
Regular

Post by G8CVF »

Thanks Admiral.

As an old timer I have been licensed '56' years and weaned on power meters of all kinds and owning a company who designed and manufactured PCB's for industry mainly the UK Electricity Board think my soldering skills should be better than best, Have always used commercial dummy loads present one a 400watt 50 Ohm Marconi , I also think I may have said enough.

It is something to do with the actual radio OR something a previous owner has done to it to achieve a NOVICE output but what, who knows ?? I have tried to open it to see if a screwdriver expert had been fiddling but cannot see how to without difficulty it ain't a simple screw job.

Thanks anyway for your thoughts.
Kaliphan
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0

Post by Kaliphan »

I think you can limit the power output of the radio via the menus and then hide the menu opton with the Windows software.

Have you got the programming cable and QPS589 software?
radiogaga
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiogaga »

I may be wrong but from memory the programming only allows you set the channels to HIGH/MIDDLE/LOW. There is no further option to allow the setting of what HIGH/MIDDLE/LOW. In my hunting it did find a review reporting a 33% lower power than advertised on a a 2m Anytone radio and it was just as it it. I'm sure there is a way around the menu but it's not (as I recall) using the generic Anytone software.
G8CVF
Regular
Regular

Post by G8CVF »

Kaliphan wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 16:03 I think you can limit the power output of the radio via the menus and then hide the menu opton with the Windows software.

Have you got the programming cable and QPS589 software?
Hello Kaliphan thank you and thanks again to Radiogaga.

Maybe it's time to ask a repair shop for a quote if I can find an Anytone repair shop

Thanks again
Kaliphan
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0

Post by Kaliphan »

There's also this software:

http://www.rtsystems.us/productinfo/atp ... T-5189.pdf

The driver in there is only capable of 7W so 10W output suggests the final is still working and that the problem is elsewhere, I still think it's the programming...
radiogaga
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiogaga »

Yes, that’s the software I was thinking of but if you look midway along the XLS you see it says HIGH under TX POWER. I’m pretty confident that this is defaulted to LOW/MIDDLE/HIGH there is no option within the software to define the parameters of each.
G8CVF
Regular
Regular

Post by G8CVF »

THIS POST IS NOW CLOSED TX SHIPPED BACK TO THE SELLER THANKS FOR THE THOUGHTS
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

G8CVF wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 07:43 THIS POST IS NOW CLOSED TX SHIPPED BACK TO THE SELLER THANKS FOR THE THOUGHTS
Glad you got sorted in the end. Hope you have more luck with the next radio. :thumbup:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
simonthewizard

Post by simonthewizard »

radiogaga wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 16:58 I may be wrong but from memory the programming only allows you set the channels to HIGH/MIDDLE/LOW. There is no further option to allow the setting of what HIGH/MIDDLE/LOW. In my hunting it did find a review reporting a 33% lower power than advertised on a a 2m Anytone radio and it was just as it it. I'm sure there is a way around the menu but it's not (as I recall) using the generic Anytone software.
There is a small exe file for this radio that expands the power settings, it’s independent of the programming software. It’s named something like SeTupPow. Same goes for some other radios like Team Mico VHF, UHF and a few more.