Yaesu ft450d mic

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
ROTEL240

Yaesu ft450d mic

Post by ROTEL240 »

I am currently using a Yaesu 450d with the stock mic is anyone using a different hand mic and getting better audio reports please I mainly use the radio static mobile so prefer to use a hand mic. I use the md100 for Homebase and they are very good . TIA.
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Re: Yaesu ft450d mic

Post by Tim »

Waste of time using any other hand mic on these radios, there is a mod you can do to the stock mic or use the earlier mic that lacks the up-down buttons but it does very little to enhance audio and modulation, use the mic settings as in EQ and gain in the radio menus and if the receiving station thinks you're a little quiet, tell them to increase their volume control and use their filters. Same thing using the base MD mics, if you don't have the settings on the radio or the mic correct then you're going to sound awful. Distance you speak into the mic from makes a lot of difference as well, stock mic you should hold it 1/2 an inch from your mouth and talk across it, base mics, the same, people think that being a base mic you can talk into it from 2 feet away, not so.
ROTEL240

Post by ROTEL240 »

Thanks Tim for youe reply, i have been looking at this YAESU MH-67A8J which is the one i think you have mentioned and was on the old 450,with have a look at the mod which can be done to the MH31, I am happy with my radios audio but was just looking for other options cheers..
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Tim »

Friend of mine did the resistor mod to his standard 31 but in reality it made very little if any difference and to get good clear audio out had to change the EQ and mic gain settings in the radio to get the same audio as pre mod. The best settings for the 31 is mic switch on the back on position 2, radio EQ on 0 and mic gain on normal and when using an MD100 have the switches on the bottom, main on 'filter', high emphasis 'on' and low cut switch 'off'. No matter how you set up your audio no two stations will give you the same report as everyone's ears are different, use the radio monitor function to give you a general idea of your audio.
ROTEL240

Post by ROTEL240 »

Cheers Tim, on the mh31 i use rear switch on 2 and eq on 0 or 4 so similar to what you have said..Thanks
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Tim »

That's what I find, radio EQ on 4 gives the audio a little more umph, ideal for DX. I have the MD-100A8X hooked up to my 450-D.