MFJ-209 Analyser - Any good ?

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
Buick Mackane

MFJ-209 Analyser - Any good ?

Post by Buick Mackane »

Is it worth the £200 asking price ? Is it accurate ? Decent quality ?

Cheers Gents.
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Re: MFJ-209 Analyser - Any good ?

Post by Auldgeek »

I don't have direct experience of using the 209 as I have a 259B. From what I read however, the frequency dial is not calibrated and MFJ recommend an external frequency counter. A few reviews on here.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7773

If you are thinking of investing in one of these, look for a previously owned 259B as it has a built in counter plus a few more toys.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

kilimax wrote: 06 Nov 2017, 00:14 I don't have direct experience of using the 209 as I have a 259B. From what I read however, the frequency dial is not calibrated and MFJ recommend an external frequency counter. A few reviews on here.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7773

If you are thinking of investing in one of these, look for a previously owned 259B as it has a built in counter plus a few more toys.
Yeah drew the frequency dial only puts you in the rough ball park. So like you say a counter is really needed for accuracy, Or zero beat it using a receiver, MFJ reviews are always a bit hit & miss, But still the cheapest option when it comes to half decent quality analysers,

What would i expect to pay for a used 259B ?

Cheers.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

I'm also considering the 207 Model, Like the 209, But restricted to H.F, No deal breaker for me as i dont use VHF/UHF, This guy has added a frequency counter to his 207. What did he use to cut the hole ? An angle grinder ? :wtf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDhl-QKUOII
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

Buick Mackane wrote: 06 Nov 2017, 00:40

Yeah drew the frequency dial only puts you in the rough ball park. So like you say a counter is really needed for accuracy, Or zero beat it using a receiver, MFJ reviews are always a bit hit & miss, But still the cheapest option when it comes to half decent quality analysers,

Cheers.
About £240-£260 s/hand. You can buy them new in the US and including delivery and import duty, you would be about the same.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

kilimax wrote: 06 Nov 2017, 11:23
Buick Mackane wrote: 06 Nov 2017, 00:40

Cheers.
About £240-£260 s/hand. You can buy them new in the US and including delivery and import duty, you would be about the same.
Cheers drew, Think i'll go with the basic 207 model, I already have a frequency counter, And it comes supplied with a counter cable.
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

If you want an antenna analyser that does most all you'll need get an MFJ-269 or an MFJ-259B or the 259C. There are several listed on eBay to give you an idea of prices. I have both the 269 and 259C, subtle differences between them but does the same functions. I would also recommend downloading the operator manual for them to learn what the different functions do and how to use them. An invaluable bit of kit that you will never regret spending a bit of money on and if you are into building antennas or just checking them out for resonance you'll be using it time and time again.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Tim wrote: 07 Nov 2017, 16:40 If you want an antenna analyser that does most all you'll need get an MFJ-269 or an MFJ-259B or the 259C. There are several listed on eBay to give you an idea of prices. I have both the 269 and 259C, subtle differences between them but does the same functions. I would also recommend downloading the operator manual for them to learn what the different functions do and how to use them. An invaluable bit of kit that you will never regret spending a bit of money on and if you are into building antennas or just checking them out for resonance you'll be using it time and time again.
I ended up going for the 207 model tim , Most basic analyser in the MFJ range, No ohms meter or frequency display, But can be hooked up to an external counter, Suits my needs and it'll hopefully save me a lot of time & effort.

Cheers.
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

Certainly saves a lot of running about and fiddling with set, forward and reflected, you don't even need a radio!