ZS6BKW ANTENNA ANY GOOD ???

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

ZS6BKW ANTENNA ANY GOOD ???

Post by WARLOCK »

Any one use a zs6bkw d/pole antenna if so are they any good ,it will be mounted 40ft up on a alloy pole as a upside down V in a confind space ???
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Re: ZS6BKW ANTENNA ANY GOOD ???

Post by Tigersaw »

Its just a doublet. Nothing wrong with doublets mind, I often throw one up, so long as its symmetrical and use a good current balun ( I use 4:1) it will work well, dimensions have never really made much difference in the real world to me.
mark1

Post by mark1 »

mattltm
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by mattltm »

I used one here for a while. It replaced my homebrew doublet fed with 6" spaced ladder line and an SGC Matcher. The ZS6BKW worked fine without the need for an ATU on 80M (a very slim bit), 40M, 20M, 17M, 12M and 10M but was untunable on the rest of 80M and all other bands with the TS590 built in ATU. I couldn't find any difference in performance between the homebrew doublet with the SGC at the base and the ZS6BKW. Swapped back to the doublet so I could get on 60M and work the whole of 80M and 160M (at terrible efficiency!)

Overall, a decent choice for a multiband antenna if you are interested in the higher bands and don't have/want a tuner. You'll need a high center point or 2 high end points to hang from because the 12M of feeder likes to be vertical and not laying on the ground.
"Spooky action at a distance."