Upgrade antenna help for baofeng,Retevis 771?

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Upgrade antenna help for baofeng,Retevis 771?

Post by original45 »

I have been looking for a upgraded antenna to improve reception and potential transmission distance for a baofeng 5r.
I was looking at antennas like the nagoya 771 however I have read many reports of poor matching when analysed often are clones with no improvement over standard.
Looking at the little information I could find and viewing a few reviews and videos it seems a simular antenna called the retevis rhd 771 compared to Nagoya looks by all accounts to be better made with improvements over the standard baofeng rd too.
Has anyone experience of the retevis 771,
Has anyone any other antenna recommendations that can be bought cheaper from China sellers on the net for under £10.
To cover 2 mtr 70
Thank you and appreciate your advices and input.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: Upgrade antenna help for baofeng,Retevis 771?

Post by Admiral »

I have a couple of the Nagoyas, I purchased from a UK seller so that if they did turn out to be knock-offs or crap then they could go back, neither of which were either. I use one on a UV-5R and one on an MD-380 and they both work very well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAGOYA-NA-771 ... 1331756634
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Thank you admiral , their is just so much info for against in the net making informed decision on which is best is hopeless .
I will order from link ,cheers.

I may just order one of the retevis rhd 771 to compare it with ,seems little info on these .
Thank you again Admiral
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

That would be cool if you got one of each and did a real world comparison, I prefer a write up about a couple of guys using the things from one end of the park/village to the other rather than sinad and decibel comparisons.
Let us know how you get on please.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

I will try my best ,I was looking how I could actually do this because the baofengs don't have an actual signal meter .
I do know someone who may be able to do a signal strength reading from his yaesu ,I bought the standard retevis rt 771 also as well as rhd version
I don't have a suitable analyser to do a real comparison so will once they arrive be based on signal strength on tx to my friend and received audio signal quality if I can find a weak signal I guess.

I intend to do a tiger tail test also hopefully.
Will be some weeks yet China post isn't quick.
The Nagoya should be here next week.
See how we go.
Thank you again
Merlinonline
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0CPX

Post by Merlinonline »

MRW 210, I use two on different handhelds and they do a brilliant job! Surprisingly they are sold by Moonraker (available at Maplin) but they do work!
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Merlinonline wrote:MRW 210, I use two on different handhelds and they do a brilliant job! Surprisingly they are sold by Moonraker (available at Maplin) but they do work!
That's at least twice the price the OP was looking to spend.
Merlinonline
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0CPX

Post by Merlinonline »

Admiral wrote:
Merlinonline wrote:MRW 210, I use two on different handhelds and they do a brilliant job! Surprisingly they are sold by Moonraker (available at Maplin) but they do work!
That's at least twice the price the OP was looking to spend.
Could have saved myself some money then!