Yaesu ft450d

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
Nitehawk

Yaesu ft450d

Post by Nitehawk »

There was an earth fault on the FT 450 where you got a Hum/Buzz when you TX, reading on various forums it also affects some ft 450d's, i have got this problem' can anyone tell me the fix, and is it easy to do. it refers to soldering an earth wire.
Thankyou

Dave
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: Yaesu ft450d

Post by ch25 »

Did you try google?
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Nitehawk

Post by Nitehawk »

Yes i did, there is a fix but i'm getting on a bit now and the soldering is to small for me to do, i am trying to find someone who has had this problem and fixed it, or someone who knows how to do it, so i can get someone to do it for me.

Cheers Dave.
ROTEL240

Post by ROTEL240 »

The cause is the colour changing led because if you swich off the colour display back light the buzz goes.My radio was the 450At not heard of it in the 450d version.
I did the fix and no soldering needed i got a 8" bit of 3mm wire and put 2 small elec connectors on each end 1 round and 1 slot type. you need to remove the cases and the front panel (carefull with the ribbon cable)connect 1 end to a screw on the radio chassis, connect the other to the front panel,there is a piece of v shaped springy metal which should make a connection the front panel to the chassis but is not adequate i connected to this and got a report off a local freind the buzz had gone if i disconneted the wire the buzz was back,
Job done then put the radio back together all was well 30 mins is all it took to do.
A local ham shop wanted £70 to do it but was very easy to do....Good luck matey if you was local i would have done it for you.
I did contact Yaesu about this common fault but they said they had not heard of it not good for future sales
Nitehawk

Post by Nitehawk »

Thankyou for your response, apparently there is a small amount of the 450d radios that suffer from this problem, according to various forums, you are right in what you did, unfortunately my eyesight is not as good as it used to be so I will have to get someone to do it for me.

Kindest regards
Dave.
ROTEL240

Post by ROTEL240 »

Nitehawk wrote:Thankyou for your response, apparently there is a small amount of the 450d radios that suffer from this problem, according to various forums, you are right in what you did, unfortunately my eyesight is not as good as it used to be so I will have to get someone to do it for me.

Kindest regards
Dave.
No problem Dave an easy fix for someone with a bit of knowledge.
ROTEL240

Post by ROTEL240 »

How did you get on with the mod Dave?