A good extension speaker ?

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
mickymcd

A good extension speaker ?

Post by mickymcd »

Been looking for an extension speaker to share between my ic7300 and my ft2000 what do you guys recommend ?
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: A good extension speaker ?

Post by ch25 »

Depends on budget.
I use Fostex pm04d, cheaper, good sounding option is speaker from home theatre system.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

I use a variety of speakers but I would avoid buying the matching speakers as they are often very poor quality. I have a few and I'm disappointed overall. The Yaesu SP-2000 is better than most but I find a decent hi-fi shelf speaker will outperform any matching speaker and you can pick these up for buttons compared to equipment speakers
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 108TM154

Post by gmham »

If you hang on I will give you a link to a speaker I bought off ebay that the guys on the Facebook IC7300 group recommended. sounds great and best off all a few stick on rubber feet brings it up to the exact same height as the radio itself !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/e-audio-Black ... XQHU1RrwB7

£20 a pair so will do both your radios ! just bought a double end 3.5mm jack plug extension cable and halved it .. does both radios and again a cheap set off stick on furniture pads on the base will bring it up to the correct height off the radio itself if you want to sit it beside the radio. have owned loads off expensive yaesu branded speakers over the years and never rated them without having to internally mod them with acoustic foam etc so again for £20 a pair you can't go wrong with these. :D
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

Moxon antenna for 10/20 mtrs

——
John - 108TM154 / 108CO154
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

gmham wrote:If you hang on I will give you a link to a speaker I bought off ebay that the guys on the Facebook IC7300 group recommended. sounds great and best off all a few stick on rubber feet brings it up to the exact same height as the radio itself !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/e-audio-Black ... XQHU1RrwB7

£20 a pair so will do both your radios ! just bought a double end 3.5mm jack plug extension cable and halved it .. does both radios and again a cheap set off stick on furniture pads on the base will bring it up to the correct height off the radio itself if you want to sit it beside the radio. have owned loads off expensive yaesu branded speakers over the years and never rated them without having to internally mod them with acoustic foam etc so again for £20 a pair you can't go wrong with these. :D
Damn it, why did I read this post? Pair on their way.......
Auldgeek - Drew

gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by gmham »

Always the same with myself mate !! that buy it now button is like a bloody magnet !!!
at least you get two off them for £20 this seller is looking for around that for one, does come with the required £1 connecting cable thou !!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-quality- ... SwUfNXRspI
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

——
mickymcd

Post by mickymcd »

Cheers ive pulled the trigger there cheap enough i have an awesome sounding ext speaker made by gear4 but its dc mains fed but picks up stray rf badly ive tried ferrites etc but still buzzess like hell when i tx ill try these speakers will report back hi hi
mark1

Post by mark1 »

mickymcd wrote:Cheers ive pulled the trigger there cheap enough i have an awesome sounding ext speaker made by gear4 but its dc mains fed but picks up stray rf badly ive tried ferrites etc but still buzzess like hell when i tx ill try these speakers will report back hi hi
Did you get these speakers after, what did you think?
mark1

Post by mark1 »

Or anyone else who has tried them maybe?
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

Mine are here but I've not had a chance to even take them out of the box. Will do that tomorrow evening and report back.
Auldgeek - Drew

mark1

Post by mark1 »

Cheers mate look forward to your report.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

mark1 wrote:Cheers mate look forward to your report.
Hooked up a speaker tonight and been listening on 20m and on some AM broadcasts. Only 11m stations heared were on uk FM on CH19 so I didn't stay on there long but the cursing sounded ok! :)

Quick summary of how they look and build quality.

Speakers are well made. Cube sized. 4.5 H X 4.5 W inches with a depth of about 5 inches so a little bit taller than my TS-590. Very smart looking and they have a reasonable weight to them. Spring clip connections at the back. You will need to make up your own connecting cable and plug. Rating is 70 Watts at 8 ohms.

I've connected it to my Kenwood R-5000 receiver and listened on both SSB and AM with narrow and wide filtering.
Now, I have pretty poor hearing, almost completely deaf in my right ear and high frequencies are a bit down in my left ear so I'm always going to hear better at the low to middle frequencies. In this respect, it is very good, I'd say lacking ever so slightly in bass response but on SSB, it's going to be down to the stations TX audio and your receivers filtering that will ultimately determine this.

Overall, excellent speaker to listen to SSB and the hi-fidelity SSB stations sound excellent.
Switching to an AM broadcast station is again, very good, with decent response.

So I'd say for the money, very good value and of course, you get 2! :thumbup:
Auldgeek - Drew

gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by gmham »

Excellent review mate could not have summed them up better myself! Mentioned on the Facebook IC7300 group again earlier today. Seller must be wondering why they are selling so many all off a sudden!
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

——
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

gmham wrote:Excellent review mate could not have summed them up better myself! Mentioned on the Facebook IC7300 group again earlier today. Seller must be wondering why they are selling so many all off a sudden!
Bargains don't come round very often these days but these really are a steal!
Auldgeek - Drew

gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by gmham »

Yep as I say have had £150 yeasu etc speakers and well never kept any off them, this little speaker sits perfect with my IC7300 and the other with my TR751e 2mtr ssb set, for £20 they really are a great buy !! glad folk listened to my recomendation !!
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

——