tokyo hy-power hl160v linear amp

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
mastercare
Call Sign: g4sbx

tokyo hy-power hl160v linear amp

Post by mastercare »

Hi Guys i recently came across above linear, it was in a bad state the final pa transistors were shot along with a few burnt out resistors...the driver transistor to pa stage was missing and someone had modded it with a bit of coax from the input feeding the final stages direct,, well im not sure if this was a mod or as ive since found out it is very hard to get a replacment driver transistor anywhere..its a 2sc2181 the finals which are new ones ive fitted are mrf 247.
ive been given a mrf1946 which i was told would do as a driver but the result now is it all fires up fine...relays or click over on tx, but im only getting milliwatts out. im driving it with 4 watts for testing...perhaps i should left the driver transistor out?
has any one worked or can advise on this linear...
many thanks
paul
mastercare
Call Sign: g4sbx

Re: tokyo hy-power hl160v linear amp

Post by mastercare »

update
well the amp is working infact its working too well, we found a cap on the input had gone open after the padding feeding to driver transistor..fitted a new one keyed up and bingo..about 170 watts now with just over 500 m/watts in...i need to tame this amp down the input seems to use a series of padding resistors can i cut the gain down by adj the alc pot?
i really need to feed this with 10 watts as thats the lowest the trio rig i will be using will go down to...any ideas?
cheers for reading
paul