Poor performance vhf Moonraker antenna SQBM4060P

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
mickymcd

Poor performance vhf Moonraker antenna SQBM4060P

Post by mickymcd »

Hi all I use 2m a lot ive been using a radiozing x50 antenna 17' from the floor coax run is around 25' to the shack I get out great from where it is located and I receive well.I fancied another antenna which would be about 15' higher than the x50 mounted aboved my cobwebb antenna I purchased the moonraker SQBM4060P as it was on offer and its sold as a quad band antenna 6/4/2/70cm now I know it aint going to be great on 6/4 but it could be useable if the band is ever open.Here's the thing the moonraker antenna is giving me dire performance I was listening to a station last night on 2m using the moonraker antenna he was 4/3 when I swapped over to the x50 he was 5/9+.
Im thinking is the cobwebb limiting the performance with it being so close to the new antenna ? the swr on the new moonraker antenna is fine thru the bands its advertised to work on but before I start to take it down for some investigation I just cant belive this antenna would be so poor ? ive emailed moonraker yet to have a reply incase they've had returns etc. {bnghd}
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Poor performance vhf Moonraker antenna SQBM4060P

Post by Andy »

Moonraker antennas seem to have a reputation for being 'not the best', but such a massive difference seems a bit strange. I suppose my next move would be to remove the x50 and put the Moonraker in its place to see if it's the siting that's the problem.
In my experience quad-band antennas never work well on all four bands, there are too many compromises.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

If you can get away with it and you have the space you could have seperate antennas for 6 and 4 metres

Here is a design for a home brew dual band colinear, in my view this article has excellent photos diagrams and good explanation throughout

HTH kind regards Adrian http://www.anderschou.dk/oz3qy/ANTENNAS/UHF2.htm
mickymcd

Post by mickymcd »

Hi all thanks for the input I tried moving the moonraker quad band also tried diff coax too no avail in the end after contacting moonraker they have give me a refund on the antenna which im pleased about but the poor performance on this particular anteena is woeful for such a price.
owza
Call Sign: M0

Post by owza »

I've had a similar experience with the Mirfeild ME64270. It does gets me on 4 bands though. With some reasonable contacts, well into Europe on 6, Ireland on 4. It doesn't do a good job on 2m, but it works well enough for me to chat with local stations. It's a compromise, because the alternative is for me not to be operating on 4/6, or vice versa.
steepeljack69
Call Sign: 26SF333

Post by steepeljack69 »

I bought the 6/4/2/70 version as I can’t have too many antennas up,it replaced a Diamond x-50.Totally useless!i couldn’t work any of the 2m repeaters which I worked easily with the x-50.Also swr was really high on 4m,I couldn’t work anyone.What did I expect from a antenna just over a meter long.I wouldn’t buy one but sum say they work ok.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

steepeljack69 wrote:I bought the 6/4/2/70 version as I can’t have too many antennas up,it replaced a Diamond x-50.Totally useless!i couldn’t work any of the 2m repeaters which I worked easily with the x-50.Also swr was really high on 4m,I couldn’t work anyone.What did I expect from a antenna just over a meter long.I wouldn’t buy one but sum say they work ok.
I've had one up for a few months and it's about to be replaced as it's as much use as a chocolate tea pot. As you say, swr is high on 4m and overall performance is extremely poor. You expect compromise on 6 & 4 due to its physical size but you would think 2m & 70cm would be more or less comparable to an X-50.

I have a replacement waiting to go up in its place at the loss of 4m unfortunately. I have a 4m beam anyway but thought this could be a decent multiband utility type antenna but no such luck.

It's a pile of poo
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
steepeljack69

Post by steepeljack69 »

I thought the same but like u say they r crap and people need to keep their money as these are a waste!
steepeljack69

Post by steepeljack69 »

Sum guy on 70mhz Facebook group reckons there best thing since sliced bread!says swr is ok on 4m and is ok on other bands.He must have a special one,everyone I know that’s had one doesn’t recognise anything he has said.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

steepeljack69 wrote:Sum guy on 70mhz Facebook group reckons there best thing since sliced bread!says swr is ok on 4m and is ok on other bands.He must have a special one,everyone I know that’s had one doesn’t recognise anything he has said.
I reckon his SWR meter is busted! :lol:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

MrWeetabix wrote:
steepeljack69 wrote:Sum guy on 70mhz Facebook group reckons there best thing since sliced bread!says swr is ok on 4m and is ok on other bands.He must have a special one,everyone I know that’s had one doesn’t recognise anything he has said.
I reckon his SWR meter is busted! :lol:
Perhaps he has used that swr grease again! :)
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Well all I know is that we don;t really have a subjective answer to whether it's any good or not until CH25 has let us know what he thinks........ :lol:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |