Do I bit the bullet and get a new handheld.

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Do I bit the bullet and get a new handheld.

Post by WeatherWatcher »

As both my handhelds put out less than 0.5W and are 2m only do I bit the bullet and buy a new one?
I don't want to waste money on one of the big 3 manufacturers when it will probably only be used about 30 days a year.
What are peoples thoughts, have mastered CHIRP so no problem programming one, provided I have the right program lead.

Not planning on anything until the end of the month.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: Do I bit the bullet and get a new handheld.

Post by Admiral »

I use Bumfeng UV-3Rs and 5Rs, they work very well, especially with a decent mic/speaker unit and at £20 delivered it doesn't matter if you lose or break one (of which I've done neither so far). Totally configurable via CHIRP and slip into ones pocket as easily as 20 fags.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WeatherWatcher »

Cheers Admiral, have a speaker mike from my Alinco think the mike is actually a Kenwood or Icom unit. Be good if that worked with one. Will look at a 5R, haven't seen any 3R's advertised
Mitch
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M1TCH

Post by Mitch »

Oldman54 wrote:... have a speaker mike from my Alinco think the mike is actually a Kenwood or Icom unit. Be good if that worked with one. Will look at a 5R, haven't seen any 3R's advertised
The Alinco mic is most likely Icom wired so won't fit a Baofeng, they're Kenwood wired. The UV-3R is a cracking little radio, true shirt pocket sized and beats my VX2 hands down, personally I prefer the UV-B5 of the 5W radios, channel change and volume both on top, volume only (5R/B6 etc.) left me wanting tbh. Also worth looking at is the TYT TH-UV3R.
The perfect face for radio.
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WeatherWatcher »

Cheers Mitch, had a suspicion that the mic would not work. What are the std speaker mics like -do they need modifying by enlarging the hole over the microphone element?
I like the 5R because of the key pad, and price also I already have female SMA adaptors so could use other antenna and a mobile mounted whip.
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WeatherWatcher »

What is the difference between the 5r,5ra,rb,etc models?
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Forget the Bumfengs....ive tried em all and seriously they are pants compared to the Wouxun dual banders..
Yes the Wouxuns cost a bit more but they comparable to the big Three...
Ive got a 2m/70cm an the 2m/4m and im dead chuffed with em...streets ahead of the Bumfengs
Mitch
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M1TCH

Post by Mitch »

Oldman54 wrote:Cheers Mitch, had a suspicion that the mic would not work. What are the std speaker mics like -do they need modifying by enlarging the hole over the microphone element?
I like the 5R because of the key pad, and price also I already have female SMA adaptors so could use other antenna and a mobile mounted whip.
All the speaker mics I've tried are just pants tbh, like most of the alternative aerials, waste of hard earned and just add bulk to what is supposed to be light and portable. They're no bigger than a mic anyway so just use it like a phone. If you need mobile best to get a mobile setup, with a power supply then home base is covered as well.

I've sold my baofengs now, didn't use them so seemed a waste but I particularly hated the 5R range with a passion, horrid things imho (OK it was a b**ch to program), just didn't like 'em at all. But each to their own, one man's trash is another man's treasure as they say :D
The perfect face for radio.
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WeatherWatcher »

Update the boss(she who controls the purse strings and my wallet) has said she will buy me a UV5R for Christmas provided I get her a couple of bottles of Baileys so may be a deal has been struck - I already have one bottle hidden for her Xmas present, just need to get a second :shh:
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

It would be cheaper to buy the 5R yourself and drink the Baileys.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WeatherWatcher »

I didn't say she was getting a full size bottle :clap:
The one I have in stock is a Miniature with a glass - think came from Tesco's in the Bargain Bin at the start of the year.
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

If u must go the Bumfeng route then the UVB5 has a much nicer feel to it.. I use mine for FM broadcast when im cutting n chopping logs! But they ok on uhf/vhf or even 446...