Stupid Question but I don't know Answer SWR adjustment on dual band whip.

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Stupid Question but I don't know Answer SWR adjustment on dual band whip.

Post by WeatherWatcher »

Right I have always used separate antenna for each frequency but am going to invest in a Dual band mobile whip with centre loading coil.
Please can some one advise me the best way to a good SWR reading on both bands . Preferably simple instructions ie which band first etc. Use will on FM only 2m and 70cm ideally optimised for the repeater parts of each band,
Buick Mackane

Re: Stupid Question but I don't know Answer SWR adjustment on dual band whip.

Post by Buick Mackane »

Far as i know most are pre-tuned and shouldn't require any adjustments.
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WeatherWatcher »

Cheers, was just a bit worried as it is being sent in the mail and the top section may need fitting either above or below the centre loading.
Antenna is a NL770S at approx. 45cms long capable of 100W allegedly with a PL259 mount.
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Post by Tigersaw »

Its best just to assume the UHF is pre-set correctly unless you have an analyser that will reach that high, and even then it can appear different one day to the next.
DaveP
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0DDF

Post by DaveP »

Before spending your hard earned money, read the reviews on ham.net The NL77 gets quite a paisting, for quality of materials and also the quality of build. Also if you intend to use it on 70cm the loss by the PL259 mount will be significant.
They may be a bit more expensive but look at the Sharmer range, all pre-tuned the quality is pritty good and they work well.

73s Dave
Yeasu FT-897 wide banded, MD100 mic, Yeasu FT-857, Yeasu FT-8800r, Diamond X300 2/70, A pair of phased shunt type loops for 2/70. 6 meter shunt type loop, Windom 20m to 10m long wire, Antron 99s for 10 and 12 meters. As you can see Im a Yeasu Man and loopy to boot. :D