Do old 2m handelds still have a use?

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Do old 2m handelds still have a use?

Post by WeatherWatcher »

I am asking this more out of curiosity.
I have several FM handhelds (both under 500mW) with old style tonebursts(1750) and although they have CCTS are a pain to program for repeaters, good for simplex or just listening for the output on a repeater.
The advances with digital modes make me wonder if these dinasours should be kept or consigned to a local club Junk Sale for someone else to tinker with.
One I would never get rid of due to the excellent Airband receive is my Alinco DJ-C1( a very small unit not much bigger than a credit card) but lacking in the Tx department.
Opinions please this is not indicating that I shall consider getting rid of them -more what are other peoples thoughts on older radios? (can enter 12.5 Mhz channel spacing no problem.)
2E1IIP

Re: Do old 2m handelds still have a use?

Post by 2E1IIP »

You could use them for talk in at rally's, donate them to a club or try and sell them - but unless a collector buys them don't expect a great deal of money from them as you can get a 5W multibander for £19.99 brand new.
You could also just keep them for display purposes, :)

Cheers

Rob.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

I don't own any digital handies and have no plans to buy any at the moment either.

Just another fashion statement it seems to me - if you follow fashion, waiting for the 'Next big thing' to splash the cash on, then your laughing. Or at least the radio manufacturers are.

I still own and use a number of old FM handies. For example, I have just fired up my trusty 20 yr old Standard C-156 - Still going strong and you know the old saying 'If it aint broke, don't fix it!

Very little digital use around here anyway. Still plenty to listen to on the scanner and still loads of non digital contacts on the ham bands. Everyone seems to be skint (or tight, the Welsh are worse than the Scots in that respect!).

Just hang on to them or donate them to a worthy cause - try offering them to your local air cadets (ATC), loads of squadrons in the south west London area.
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WeatherWatcher »

Mixed opinions on this, Most of my radio club have gone for digital ones but my feelings as Mikel says if it ain't broke.
I also found an old crystal controlled unit I bought from Lowes when first licenced - definitely a museum piece :lol:
I think I shall hang onto them if only for the nostalgia side of things, after all they owe me nothing now and may think about a cheap Chinese handy that is dual band- would be less risky carrying that around than my FT817.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

As Rob rightly said, you'll only get beer money for them if that, so hang on to them for that day when you have a brilliant project in mind and need a 2m set that is sacrificable.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition