yaesu ft450d squelch problem

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
mastercare
Call Sign: g4sbx

yaesu ft450d squelch problem

Post by mastercare »

hi all can someone help please.
ive just started to use my ft450d on fm...but im unable to squelch the signal ive turned rf gain fully clockwise, and sometimes it just will squelch the signal...ive got less than s 2 on meter surely there must be a way of turning the threshhold up..i cant see any mention in manual except it can be used as rf gain or squelch?
anyone had this problem?
cheers
paul
takara

Re: yaesu ft450d squelch problem

Post by takara »

menu item SQL/RFG changes the knob from rf gain to squelch. It's one or the other dependant on menu setting.
mastercare

Post by mastercare »

Hi takara
thanks for reply, ive been in the menu and tried the setting but it still is poor. s2 or above i cannot squelch the signal out...spoke to yaesu, all they said does it squelch with ant out which is does...ive looked in the ft450d service manual i cant find any way of changing the squelch level...any boffs on here had this problem please...
thanks
paul
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

What bandwidth setting do you have for FM? There's 2 from memory. Does altering the rx filter bandwidth change the squelch sensitivity?
I remember reading that the squelch is automatically set based on noise level so anything above the noise level will open the squelch.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
mastercare

Post by mastercare »

Hi kilimax
tnx for advice i will check that and get back.