Yaesu YM-38 Desk Mic Wiring.

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Yaesu YM-38 Desk Mic Wiring.

Post by Tim »

Is there anyone out there that can tell me what the wiring is for a Yaesu YM-38 desk microphone for a Kenwood TS-140S. The chap I got it from said it's wired for Kenwood but before I just go and plug it in I want to make certain the wiring is correct. I don't want to know that ground goes to RX, red to PTT, orange to up and green to down etc., that means nothing to me, what I want to know is which colour goes to which pin. Whoever soldered the wires in the plug made a complete pigs ear of it so I have had to rewire it, I did wire it exactly as it was and this is how it was wired. Looking at the plug from the front, (radio end) numbers from the right of the 'notch' clockwise, 1 green 2 yellow 3 blue 4 brown 5 orange 6 red 7 black and shield 8 white. If anyone could also tell me the wiring for it for an Icom IC-751 that also would be much appreciated. Thanks.
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 163dt307

Re: Yaesu YM-38 Desk Mic Wiring.

Post by dt307 »

white ...mic...pin1
shield...mic shield...pin7
black...ptt.ground...pin8
red...ptt...pin2
yellow...common up/down...pin8
blue...down...pin3
green...up...pin4
brown...f/c...no connect
orange...f/c...no connect

pin 5 has +voltage keep away from this

note pin numbers are as in the pic std format
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 163dt307

Post by dt307 »

ic-751

white...mic...pin1
red...ptt...pin5
black...ptt ground...pin6
shield...mic shield...pin7
to use the up/down buttons is possible but you would have to fettle things a bit as icom used a single pin for both buttons
up pin3 gets grounded ...down pin3 gets grounded via a 470ohm resistor i could explain this better but only if your keen

NOTE...icoms used a hot (+voltage)on the mic pin to power the electret mic elements i would strongly advise a dc blocking cap in series with the mic wire a 1 uF tantalum cap +side to the radio

easy aint it lol
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Tim »

Many thanks dt307. I think I will not attempt wiring for the Icom, the Kenwood looks more straight forward.
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Tim »

My next question concerning this mic is, the way that it is currently wired, as per my first post, will it operate on a Yaesu FT-707?