New Icom 7300 sdr radio

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
steepeljack69
Call Sign: 26SF333

Re: New Icom 7300 sdr radio

Post by steepeljack69 »

Yes ,on the quick menu?maybe they will be worth a bit more.A bit Like the Anytone 555 that had "RF rain" instead of RF gain.
steepeljack69

Post by steepeljack69 »

Anybody any news on the 7300?Has anyone had a good play with one,and I would love to hear your views on the radio.As I said before,besides the Menu spelling mistake and only 1 antenna socket I can't really find much to moan about.Be interesting others views,did anyone see the 7300 for sale on the Flea Market?I think it was sold very quick,guy said he couldn't get on with the radio.
G8YMW

Post by G8YMW »

So far it is getting very good reviews on Eham.net
steepeljack69

Post by steepeljack69 »

Yes it looks like Icom have produced a nice bit of kit,at a reasonable price I would say.
owza
Call Sign: M0

Post by owza »

The whole band panadapter is excellent. I'm getting good audio reports with the stock mic. Decent noise reduction and blanking. 4m as well. A great radio.
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

owza wrote:The whole band panadapter is excellent. I'm getting good audio reports with the stock mic. Decent noise reduction and blanking. 4m as well. A great radio.
One critisism I read on another site was that some weaker signals that were perfectly audible, readable, and workable, (they were using CW mode), made NO impression at all on the pan adapter water fall screen, as in "visually" you would have not even known they were even there, and thus if looking at said water fall, would not have been given a "heads up" that anything of interest was even being broadcast!
Now that may be down to radio settings, it is after all early days yet, but if it isn't, probably still best, for weaker but workable signals, to rely on a tune around and using your ears rather than looking for "blips" on the water fall! ;)
Just saying.
owza
Call Sign: M0

Post by owza »

Perhaps they need directing to the manual (Section 5 page 5). You can adjust reference level of the panadapter by –20.0 dB ~ +20.0 dB. But yes, even at +20.0db I can easily imagine ear/brain picking out weak workable signals, that can't be seen.
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

owza wrote:Perhaps they need directing to the manual (Section 5 page 5). You can adjust reference level of the panadapter by –20.0 dB ~ +20.0 dB. But yes, even at +20.0db I can easily imagine ear/brain picking out weak workable signals, that can't be seen.
Oh it was not a criticism, merely an observation of what someone complained about elsewhere.
In fact he had a couple of replies saying exactly what you say above, and he replied saying he would make reference level adjustments and see how it went from there, but he has not posted his results/findings yet.

Incidentally, for those that follow such things as technical bench test specs.........

http://www.dj0ip.de/sherwood-forest/she ... m-ic-7300/

Read at leisure! (with calculator to hand I am guessing!) :D
Samalex
Call Sign: MM0

Post by Samalex »

this doesnt surprise me if i am honest it sounds similar to the scope on the 7600. The 756 Pro III scope you can see weak signals that are not visible on the 7600. Pro III scope is very sensitive and so far probably one of the best. I sent my 7600 back to Icom to get checked and they returned it saying it was bang on as per spec. I am waiting before i spend money if its not going to show weak signals then its not worth it for me as i use the PRO III to detect openings on 6m and 10m. only good thing would be for 4m. I was told i could use 7100 and output to screen to get a decent scope on 4m so might be better.

Anyway i watch and read all in hope lol