will it tune up ?

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
NITRO

will it tune up ?

Post by NITRO »

hi folks, im picking up a hf radio on wednesday ( yaesu FT450AT) a mate has a 66 foot longwire ( resinent on 40m )across his garden and he is able to tune it on 20m and 80m using the ATU in his rig ,
my question is, insted of puting up a longwire, i was thinking of making up an inverted v set to 40m ....... will this tune 20 and 80 too using the inbuilt ATU same as the longwire does ?
many thanks for any help ..
163-TM-565
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: will it tune up ?

Post by Admiral »

Yes.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

It should tune up fine.
I will not be commanded, I will not be controlled.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
NITRO

Post by NITRO »

thanks for the reply guys, is there a "best" distance to have the wires on the inverted antenna ... ie 90 degrees apart etc...or doesent it make much difference? . and is it the higher off the ground the better?
sorry for all the questions , but ive never made one before and cant find this info on the net ... only how to make one..
163-TM-565
Diesel man
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 121

Post by Diesel man »

It will work just fine on 40-10m with a tuner.

80m it may tune with the auto ATU or you may need the extender like MFJ-914 but it will be a little compromised as it's shorter.
NITRO

Post by NITRO »

thanks folks.... today i was given a roll of thin wire, looks lke its galvanised, seems tough enough and is a silvery grey colour..... would this be ok to use ?????.... prob got 100 meters of the stuff... ideal if its ok as it would be allmost invisible when put up ... especially if i use fishing line to tie it off with ... thanks
163-TM-565
Diesel man
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 121

Post by Diesel man »

Why not try it if it's free and available.

It might be heavy once you mount it. I use 1.5 or 2.5mm house wiring either will work great it's just what I have lots of.

Made a inverted V from copper brake pipe for 6m works great, Try things.