Is Heatshrink Weatherproof?

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
Trog

Is Heatshrink Weatherproof?

Post by Trog »

I'm wondering if heatshrink is waterproof and weatherproof. Would a PL259 or N Connector on an outside antenna or balun that only had heatshrink around it stay waterproof and weatherproof for very long. There's not only rain and moisture to consider but UV light and frost etc. Would heatshrink rot, split or perish in time or is it fairly resilient to the elements?
I doubt if I would actually rely solely on heatsink. I would probably spread a small amount of silicone grease over the connection, then use heatshrink and then cover this with self amalgamating tape.
Does anyone have any experience of using heatshrink outside?
spynappels
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2I0SEH

Re: Is Heatshrink Weatherproof?

Post by spynappels »

I've had heatshrink crumble, I think through U/V instability. It wasn't actually waterproof either, although that may have been due to my crappy installation.

I found self amalgamating tape on it's own grand, obviously silicone grease would stop it sticking...
26TM944
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM944

Post by 26TM944 »

Hi,

Heat shrink is not normally UV stable and would over time like self amalgamating tape begin to fail. Most people wrap self amalgamating in PVC tape to protect it but there are other solutions on the market - there are rubber boots that are UV stable, waterproof and fit over plugs and can be then secured each end to protect whatever you are using them for.

Rubber in a tube as well works well with cable & pugs, you brush it on and it sets - again it will need protecting - but is better than tape alone. It depends on how long you want it to last and if you ever want to maintain it.

The adhesive lined heat shrink works well and I have used it at my house for more or less all outside joints. Costs more but done right you get a really good seal compared to normal heat shrink.

Good luck Steve
26-TM-944
  • A rig, twig & burner.
Trog

Post by Trog »

I will want this to last, as once the antenna is up right at the apex of my roof/gable end, it isn't going to be easily accessible without a very long ladder (which I shall have to hire in the first place to do the installation). I was thinking that back in the early eighties and again in the early nineties, I never bothered to seal the PL259 on my CB aerial and I never had any problems caused by the rain or anything with that. Better safe than sorry though.
Trog

Post by Trog »

26TM944 wrote: there are rubber boots that are UV stable, waterproof and fit over plugs and can be then secured each end to protect whatever you are using them for.
Not the easiest things to find online. Plenty of rubber boots for F connectors but nothing larger it seems. I was thinking that the rubber protective sleeves that come with armoured cable glands might be about the right diameter but it's unlikely that these are sold separately.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Post by Mattylad »

AFAIK They are sold separately.

We used to have loads of them at work, because the engineers fitted so much fire alarm cable.
A quick googlefind. http://www.etscc.co.uk/catalog/cable-gl ... nd-shrouds
Windy_Miller
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Windy_Miller »

Trog wrote:I'm wondering if heatshrink is waterproof and weatherproof.
Absolutely. Its all we use up comms towers for doing what you describe. Self amalg is nothing other than an amateurs abortion. But go for the adhesive lined heatshrink. Its got an adhesive inside that melts and flows inside completely sealing the joint. But not so adhesive that you cannot get it off again. We also use heat (and cold) shrink for high voltage underground cable joints (33 kV and more) and have even carried out a subsea cable joint with heatshrink. 15 years on, its still going strong.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

Self amalgamating tape and boots work for me.

All antennas, masts, and associated feed lines will need some sort of maintenance work carrying out on them at some point, so ease of access to should always be considered when installing. imo fitting antennas in such locations/positions that make servicing difficult should be avoided. No matter how good the install there's always the chance of a fault developing soon after.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

I've used a couple of methods to seal my cable joints.

Either a combination of self amalgamating tape + a coating of liquid rubber such as isoflex
or a combination of self amalgamating tape + waxoyl (yes under body car sealer)

Waxoyl has been available in black for a few years now. Originally, it used to dry an opaque colour

I've never had a single leak in any of my cable joints using the above dual method and I've used this for 30 + years with no issue
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Minus1
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Minus1 »

Try Sugru https://sugru.com
You'll need to use a knife when you want to remove it.
KEY : = channel/stud | ~ = CTCSS/DCS | ^ = transmitter site | ¯ = overhead | * = trunked
mr_h4ck3rm4n
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: MM6SGZ

Post by mr_h4ck3rm4n »

Heat shrink will crack with age and is not very flexible , have a look for cold shrink tubing online..., it won't age and it can be gas tight if used correctly .i used it to seal the sections on my antenna over 4 years ago and it's still fine.

HF
Yaesu FTdx1200, Kenwood TS590,
Sailor T2130 & T2031MF/HF Systems
Ameritron 811, Yeasu FL2100
VHF/UHF
Icom IC-208H, Icom IC-2820
Jotron TR7550 VHF Air
Antenna
Comet GP9, Hustler 5-BTV, 3 ELE Yagi 10m/11m
Data Interface
Kantronics Pactor TNC , MJF 1275X

QRZ.COM
Trog

Post by Trog »

Some interesting replies there and some useful links. :thumbup:
Checkpointcharlie
Banned
Banned

Post by Checkpointcharlie »

I use tape then smear it with silicone works every time
Broad sword calling Danny boy......
matt
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0LNY

Post by matt »

Used heatshrink when I rewired one of my old kawasaki z400 and it still was ok two years later when I sold it