Counterpoise or ground rod

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
S109
Call Sign: 2E0SNJ

Counterpoise or ground rod

Post by S109 »

Hi,

I've got an Alpha Antennas J Pole 6-160m antenna to put up at home as a sloper. I was told by the manufactures that it needs a good ground to work. I might be getting an AT2K tuner for my set up and this antenna but I don't really want to put an earth rod in where my shack room is. Can I just run a counterpoise from the tuner GND ? Wouldn't this be better than an earth rod ?

Thanks.
M6SWA/2E0SNJ
26-TM-4725/26-CT-4724
Road_Hog
Banned
Banned

Re: Counterpoise or ground rod

Post by Road_Hog »

Depending on your ATU, it may/probably will require an earth to work, especially if it is a t-type.

You may find this is enough, my aerial doesn't require an earth, but the ATU does, and it really brings down the noise when you connect it.

I think you're going to have to wait until someone comes along that is familiar with this antenna and its characteristics.
S109
Call Sign: 2E0SNJ

Post by S109 »

Do you use a rod or counterpoise ?
M6SWA/2E0SNJ
26-TM-4725/26-CT-4724
Road_Hog
Banned
Banned

Post by Road_Hog »

S109 wrote:Do you use a rod or counterpoise ?

SShhhhhhhh... I use a connection to the heating system, AKA the radiator.

I know it is frowned upon, but I always say. practice trumps theory. If it works, I use it.

People tell me that my G5RV is no good for Top Band, but it works on TX and RX. They tell me it is rubbish on 10m, but in the last couple of days, I've had Morocco on 10m and South America on 20m, both running low power. I use an MFJ 971 ATU, that is supposedly rubbish like all MFJ stuff, but it tunes 1:1 from 160m to 10m. It does however like an earth, especially because it's T-type.