Yaesu 450d for £489.95

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Re: Yaesu 450d for £489.95

Post by Transwarp »

B5566 wrote:Only naive or stupid folks are thinking that being a customer is like being a king. Do your business, buy it or not. If you're not happy with the service, go elsewhere. And if you are demanding a royal service level then be ready to pay up accordingly. If the one is a tight knob the service would be same as that. If you're going to spend supermarkets money, you'll get supermarkets service and quality. I don't think that roadhog has revealed anything new here.

---edit---

But judging by the "no I can't do" and similar businesses still doing well, great unwashed can take any humility in a bid to save a few pennies.
I'm not wanting to get into a debate that will again take this thread off topic but I will comment on your post.

Yes there are those customer's that think they deserve to be treated like kings or queens, I should know, I deal with customers every day of my working week. However I don't lose sight of the fact that without them I wouldn't have a job. They maybe wrong more times then they're right but unless they're being offensive, rude, or just plain arrogant & ignorant I treat them and their views with respect.

The fair paying public (us as customers to business) get short changed and treated like dimwits by companies & commerce far too often.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
B5566

Post by B5566 »

Absolutely, that's why "go shop elsewhere" from a customer (as myself point) of view. I'd rather pay more than average if I am happy with the service than save few bobs and get frustrated with low cost merchandise model.

But also from the other side as a seller - I think it's pure ignorance and arrogance too when someone complains on your pricing, finally agrees on cheapest option possible and then demands top of the range job done while still struggling to pay up hoping for another discount with "foot in the door" tactic.

Pay as you go, if you can't pay - don't go. The truth is that we as a customers have as much respect as our bank account has zeros attached to the first number. Roadhog just put it here with plain words imho
Resistance is futile.
Road_Hog
Banned
Banned

Post by Road_Hog »

Transwarp wrote: I'm not wanting to get into a debate that will again take this thread off topic but I will comment on your post.

Yes there are those customer's that think they deserve to be treated like kings or queens, I should know, I deal with customers every day of my working week. However I don't lose sight of the fact that without them I wouldn't have a job.
Absolute waffle and you totally missed my point. Nowhere did I state that I don't look after or respect customers, but as an area manager, I was getting paid regardless of whether the customer bought or not, I was off later in my fully expenses company car that was changed every three months.

The point that I'm making there, was my advice was fairly impartial, I was not worried about getting my bonus that week, or what my boss would say if 'I let him get away'. It should carry some weight, that I wasn't desperate to say whatever the customer wanted to hear, just to ring a sale up on the cash register.

Now, let me bring you back to my original point, the customer gets what he wants and that was in relation to the posts others were making, about new radio components not lasting like they used to. If the customer is willing to pay top dollar, then the manufacturer will provide it, if the customer is looking to spend as little as possible, then the manufacturer will provide to that budget also.

Now, let's put a spin on my earlier analogy that brings it back on topic.

Customer, I really like that Yaesu XYZ model, had it 20 years, given me faultless service and never missed a beat, really good rig and I've enjoyed using it and got my money's worth. I'll have to replace it soon, how much.

Me, well sir you will have paid £800 for the XYZ and the comparable model is £800 still, so in real terms it has halved in price.

Customer, £800? I don't want to spend that sort of money, that's ridiculous. I've seen you've got the ZYX range now at half the price.

Me, er yes sir, but that really isn't comparable to the model you have, it's from our budget range.

Customer, Only £400 though and they all come out the same factory, so they're all the same really.

Me, Well actually, they don't all come out the same factory, and that model doesn't have SSB.

Customer, Oh I'm sure I'll do without SSB on HF. Spoken to the dealer and he's got one lined up for me.

Me, okay, well I hope you are pleased with your new purchase. Under my breath, @rse, you really have no idea, won't listen to anybody and deserve what you get.

Moral, manufacturers will only make what sells, and only the customer buys to make the sales. If the customer makes pricing the issue, then that is what the manufacturers will concentrate on. Same with everything in life. There was an ebay focus group, where all the people moaned about the delivery times of 5 days and the explosion of people using Myhermes - remember the bit, the customer gets what the customer wants. The group all said they'd be willing to pay more to get a quicker delivery. Now don't hang me on the exact figures, this is just an example. So they set up a test, with some quick selling items, all inclusive of 5 day free Myhermes delivery or 48 hour at a cost of £5 on top of the auction price. You don't have to be a Mensa member to guess how many shelled out for the extra fiver.
Last edited by Road_Hog on 13 Mar 2015, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

What Roadhog said really!
The pricing of low to mid range radio equipment is very much market driven, the manufacturers know that amateurs will only "stand" so much, in the way of cash outlay, yet expect all the latest menus, whistles and bells, pan adaptor screen, DSP, and whatever!
So they get the software, and fancy processor, and pretty multicouloured display, but other things are supplied that are budget to keep overall cost of manufacturing down!
So instead of a good old fashioned mode selector switch, which will last a lifetime, you get a tactile membrane switch, which tells the processor to do the switching, and which won't last a life time!
Same with many other "functions" that once would have had a nice chunky switch, now they are just tactile buttons, and the processor does the rest.
Instead of solidly built metal shafted pots, or encoders, with proper threaded chassis mount fixing, you get a plastic shafted, surface or through PCB mounted pot/encoder, where the shaft just pokes out of a suitable hole on the front panel, with no true shaft support, and eventualy goes iffy or wobbly!
And so it goes on, they basical rob Peter to pay Paul, and thus keep the overall cost of manufacture reasonable, and the selling price in the average amateurs price bracket!
If amateurs started demanding solid long life, hard wearing peripherals, to go along with the fancy software and menus, the manufacturers would gladly supply it, at a price, if they felt the people asking for it, were willing to pay the "extra"!
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

Wish I'd kept my FT-736R. :cry:
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.