coax

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Re: coax

Post by Mattylad »

Opening up an old thread - so where is a good place to buy good coax from then?

i'm looking at about a 50m run for 50mhz\HF\100w and don't want to spend a lot.
johng7utg
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: g7utg

Post by johng7utg »

Its personal choice really,plus how much you want to spend. For me,i use `mini8` on all my 2m,70cm and 6m stuff,also in my car i use mini8.
Its a bit thick for going around door trim,but i manage it.
As for HF,i have always used RG213. I have bought `sharmans` coax before,and provided the shop get good quality lead,there is nothing wrong with `sharmans`. Other than them, Westflex,or buy from Waters and Stanton,or Martin Lynch,over the web.
If your in Bradford area,try LAM co,also on the net.
For me though....213 for HF and mini8 for vhf/uhf.....i also use 7mm/mini8 for cable runs when working with Raynet....its never let me down.
Just as a final.......please dont use that horrible RG58 that they sell for CB,its cheap and horrible,no good for CB le alone `Ham`.
Always ask the vendor to strip back about an inch/25mm of the cable......if the braid is nice and tightly wound,very little gaps in the wind......thats what you want.......if the braid looks a bit `thread bare`,well do i need to tell you where to tell the vendor to stick it.......
Hope it helps
Vi Ses John g7utg
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Post by Mattylad »

Bit of a late answer john but thanks (we all like opening old threads lol)

I have since bought a 100m roll of RG213 for an excellent price.

Not sure why you use mini8 for HF as it's more lossy than RG213/U ??
The RG58 is used to tie rolls of RG213 up :)