Pye Westminster modern guts

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
billares
Regular
Regular

Pye Westminster modern guts

Post by billares »

Hi just bought a retro pye westminster for my 74 land rover because I like old stuff any one seen one with modern innards or can I use a PLL to vary the freqencies as it only has 4 channels at present any help would be greatly appreciated cheers Nick m1bto
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Pye Westminster modern guts

Post by Andy »

Hello - are you the one who has asked a similar question over on the Vintage Radio site?
There was an article many moons ago in Radcom, describing a PLL synthesizer for a Westminster, but it was very complex due to the different RX/TX multiplications used in the radio.
I'd stick to the crystals if I were you - you probably only need the calling channel plus a couple of QSY freq's, so the cost of the xtals will come to less than the cost of the various bits (and the deep, deep heat-ache) of the conversion.
I ran an FM Wessie (mobile and fixed) on 4m for years, and they're a fine rig without any mods. You've just got to make sure you follow the tune-up procedure (all those multipliers...) to the letter or you can end up talking to your local taxi firm!
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
RogerD
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RogerD »

I'd rip out the old guts and put a cheap Puxing/Wouxun inside it :mrgreen:
billares
Regular
Regular

Post by billares »

Hi yes I did post on the other forum they did rather **** on my chips sacrilige ? I will have a look when it arrives could I feed the pa with milliwatts and just the amp and put in a puxing or similar don't tell the other forum they will lynch me