847 hidden menu to make the receive more sensitive

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
wheel bender
Veteran
Veteran

847 hidden menu to make the receive more sensitive

Post by wheel bender »

I out worked my friend's yaesu with a delta force on fm mode. He wants to know if he can open up the receive a bit to hear the weaker stations, any help will be usefull.
Wheel Bender 1982-88/ 2007- ???
27+ countries since 2007
keeping the older radios on air. Not in the cupboard or the past.
80ch legal- America on ukfm- CB radio can be better 2nd time around.
darkone
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: 847 hidden menu to make the receive more sensitive

Post by darkone »

Any service menu settings that increase RX gain will also increase the noise level.

Did you test them side by side on the same antenna?
"Far from idleness being the root of all evil, it is rather the only true good."
Soren Kierkegaard - Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Personally, I'd be wary of chaning service menu settings. an 847 would make for a pretty expensive paperweight! :?
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

[quote="darkone"]Any service menu settings that increase RX gain will also increase the noise level.

Did you test them side by side on the same antenna?[/quote]

That's the important bit, a chap local to me works hf pedesrian mobile and he can be 1/2 a mile away talking states side and can barely hear who he's talking to (ok so my antenna's crap :lol: )

Side by side, and using the same antenna.

I also suggest your friend buys himself a bhi nes dsp speaker, massive difference on receive, much better than the built in DSP on the FT847.
Mobile DXing from the car and on foot
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Yeti »

1) The 847's recieve on HF isn't that great - it's primarily a VHF/UHF multimode.

2) Anything you change in the menu to increase the gain will increase the noise also.

3) Anything you change in the menu to increase the S-meter reading will not necessarily increase the actual signal.

4) The 847 will make an expensive paperweight.

5) In case you missed the point of the other points above - leave it alone!
Will the next movie in the series be The Fast and The Funeral?
wheel bender
Veteran
Veteran

Post by wheel bender »

We wern't running on the same aerial. Thanks for all your replies. I'll pass them on to him. He tried altering the secret menu and as you say only increased the noise level. I know exactly what you mean about it not handling 27mhz like some other radios dedicated to those frequencies can. Thanks again for your replies. He's waiting for a Delta force to arrive.....Lol!
Wheel Bender 1982-88/ 2007- ???
27+ countries since 2007
keeping the older radios on air. Not in the cupboard or the past.
80ch legal- America on ukfm- CB radio can be better 2nd time around.
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Yeti »

I'm willing to bet an 847 will outperform a Delta Force on 11m.
Will the next movie in the series be The Fast and The Funeral?
dean_aberdare
Silent Key
Silent Key

Post by dean_aberdare »

I'll have a pound on that too my moneys on the 847, and that's after owning both at some stage
MW0TMI / 2W0XTP / MW6VHF

Yaesu Ft-920, Yaesu MD-200 , Trap Dipole, 150ft End-Fed and 3Ele 6m Beam, Western HF Dipole.
Kenwood G707 Dual Band VHF TM163010

*Message from Admin - Dean Sadly passed away in May 2012. R.I.P. Dean.
Conor
Banned
Banned

Post by Conor »

Yeti wrote: 3) Anything you change in the menu to increase the S-meter reading will not necessarily increase the actual signal.
But, Yeti, many people in here think that a higher S-meter reading means it receives better...
5) In case you missed the point of the other points above - leave it alone!
[/quote]
You're posting in the wrong place :lol:
Conor
Banned
Banned

Post by Conor »

wheel bender wrote:We wern't running on the same aerial. Thanks for all your replies. I'll pass them on to him. He tried altering the secret menu and as you say only increased the noise level. I know exactly what you mean about it not handling 27mhz like some other radios dedicated to those frequencies can. Thanks again for your replies. He's waiting for a Delta force to arrive.....Lol!
Oh FFS....

There probably is nothing wrong with his Yaesu and everything wrong with his antenna. You cannot claim to have "out performed" his Yaesu unless you were on the same antenna.

Congratulations on probably getting him to waste £200+ to see no improvement.
Conor
Banned
Banned

Post by Conor »

dean_aberdare wrote:I'll have a pound on that too my moneys on the 847, and that's after owning both at some stage
Mine too. Wheel Benders comparison was not a true one because his antenna is probably working far better.

I have two antennas here. The CP6 on 20m is 6dB down on the 20m dipole depending on location of the other station. On stations in Russia, the dipole will sometimes hear stations that are completely unheard on the CP6 and vice versa if there are stations to the south.

So unless he went round to his mates house, unplugged the 847 and plugged in the Delta Force, then its not a fair comparison.

I reckon there's £200+ just about to be thrown away.